Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Father kills one, wounds another home invader in desperate fight to save family

Quote Originally Posted by SWF View Post
    Hence my concern over the focus of the headline. Am I being paranoid or is the media being used to make people afraid of self defense?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
    Spews 24 has some pretty bad quality journalism in general.

Default Re: Father kills one, wounds another home invader in desperate fight to save family

How many million times have we discussed it on this very site?

If there is clear indication that the shooting was in private defence, then an inquest is the correct procedure.

A docket must be opened. Whether they call it murder or inquest or whatever, the docket is necessary to do the investigation. It gets a reference number, it has storage areas for statements (with pins as the state cannot afford paper clips) etc

However saying that a murder docket, or a murder charge or whatever perpetuates the myth that if you shoot someone in self defence, you are going to get charged with murder. This is the type of sentiment you hear from the omies next to the braai that he doesn't carry a gun "coz in SA you can't shoot someone hey, you'll go to jail for murder". It goes further. Konstabel Abel also starts to believe this kak, and by the time he is a senior officer, he wants to charge home owners with murder after a defensive shooting.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    How many million times have we discussed it on this very site?

If there is clear indication that the shooting was in private defence, then an inquest is the correct procedure.

A docket must be opened. Whether they call it murder or inquest or whatever, the docket is necessary to do the investigation. It gets a reference number, it has storage areas for statements (with pins as the state cannot afford paper clips) etc

However saying that a murder docket, or a murder charge or whatever perpetuates the myth that if you shoot someone in self defence, you are going to get charged with murder. This is the type of sentiment you hear from the omies next to the braai that he doesn't carry a gun "coz in SA you can't shoot someone hey, you'll go to jail for murder". It goes further. Konstabel Abel also starts to believe this kak, and by the time he is a senior officer, he wants to charge home owners with murder after a defensive shooting.
    Because Konstabel Abel, unless he pays attention, is overwhelmed by enough directives and SAPS management bullshit, that his own interpretation of the CPA is probably not as fresh as it was just after police college.

In my view, all the more reason to highlight such misleading articles and repeat the correct interpretation of the law for the million and first time in case Konstabel Abel or the omie from the braai happens to be reading the thread.

Agreed. And not post stuff like "it's standard procedure" if it isn't.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    It's not. Please stop perpetuating this myth.
    My apologies. I thought opening a docket and charging somebody are one and the same.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2