Default 16g and 470NE side by side

Hi guys
    My father inherited this gun and I would like to get some info if anyone can assist as it would come to me when he passes one day. All w know is that its a 16 gauge on the one side and a 470NE on the other. It looks like a decent old gun and has allot of sentiment because its the only thing that my father has from his father and its all that I will have one day of my grandfather. If anyone knows about these guns please share your knowledge with me.
    S1.jpg
    S2.jpg

User

Default Re: 16g and 470NE side by side

I was not able to find anything about the rifle, but found this link to a forum on Doublegunshop dot com

Its a start

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/...=479658&page=1

Thanks Sean, also found that one.

User

It's an old Cape combination gun, as they were known and they are most common in a 12g and a 450/577. Yours being a 16g and 470NE is less common and should be kept original and in your possession. If it could talk it would probably tell you a few stories about Grand Dad...

User

George Armstrong was a Cape gunsmith who had his business in Cradock ca. 1869 - 1889. (The Cape Gunsmith by Barry Berkowitch).

The .470 Nitro Express was only introduced in 1900 ( Cartridges of the World), so the rifle barrel is probably not an original nitro express, unless it was reamed out after 1900, but I doubt it. During this era (late 1800's), a number of black powder express calibres were in use.

Hannes, you have a lovely piece of history there and I suggest that you have a competent person to check the bore and chamber as well as proofing, to make sure of the calibre.

Before this has been done, do not bring a nitro cartridge near that rifle barrel.

Quote a rare piece I would imagine. Cape Guns were traditionally 410 and .22.

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Quote a rare piece I would imagine. Cape Guns were traditionally 410 and .22.
    Most of the, breech loading, Cape Guns I have seen were either 577/450 and 16 ga, .303 and 16 ga or .303 and 12 ga. I have seen one .577 Snider and 16 ga as well.