Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Shortend .22LR barrel

Just bought what looks like a good condition Krico model 302 .22LR for a fair price in Port Elizabeth. http://www.thamesvalleyguns.co.uk/Krico302.pdf

The rifle will be for work so will fit a suppressor and chop the 25 inch barrel down. Diminishing returns on a .22 LR wrt velocity? What is the shortest guys chop the barrels too? I was thinking 18 inches as they had a little Ruger there at 18 inches. Any negative affects vs 20 inches for example?

PS i think i saw Treeman (Dave) fondling something shiny in the shop.... ;)

Regards

User

Default Re: Shortend .22LR barrel

The figure I've heard bandied around for minimum (some say optimum) barrel length for a .22 without sacrificing velocity is around 16 inches. It probably depends on what ammo you use. I'm pretty sure that googling something like "optimum barrel length for .22LR" will pick up a whole lot of hits.

User

With subsonic ammo, around 14" of barrel should be enough. Anything longer would just be for balance and extra weight out to the front, to dampen the shakes a little. Leave a little barrel length between the forend and supressor.

Banned

I asked a similar question some time ago because my .22 has a bulged barrel.

The one answer that stuck is that in most cases a .22 bullet has reached top speed at 16" barrel length. More is not really necessary from that point of view.

Banned

Good choice - nicer than the Ruger All American you were handling.I also thought that was a fair price for that little gun.They did not show you the 22/10 ?
    Yes I was there collecting papers - for 22 Mag and crapping Dawie out - was jokingly expressing anger at his selling that Ruger Red Hawk before letting me know. he is gonna pay some how for that move. Thinking Tabasco in his brandy might be fair.S/S 44 Red hawke with rail and he sold it to some O, NOT ME. You not much of a have a chat fellow I noticed
    Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    Just bought what looks like a good condition Krico model 302 .22LR for a fair price in Port Elizabeth. http://www.thamesvalleyguns.co.uk/Krico302.pdf

The rifle will be for work so will fit a suppressor and chop the 25 inch barrel down. Diminishing returns on a .22 LR wrt velocity? What is the shortest guys chop the barrels too? I was thinking 18 inches as they had a little Ruger there at 18 inches. Any negative affects vs 20 inches for example?

PS i think i saw Treeman (Dave) fondling something shiny in the shop.... ;)

Regards

User

Thanks gentlemen. I think 18 inches will probably seem to work. No subsonic stuff though.

@ Dave. Spoke to you once on the phone and heard Dave in shop and put 2 and 2 together a little later. Unfortunately i was pressed for time as had 40 impala getting delivered later today so was rushing through everything a bit today. Lock Stock and Barrel had an anshultz for the same price minus a scope but prefered the Krico.

Im sure il bump into you again for a chat.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    I asked a similar question some time ago because my .22 has a bulged barrel. The one answer that stuck is that in most cases a .22 bullet has reached top speed at 16" barrel length. More is not really necessary from that point of view.
    I have a Brno model 1 with the exact problem about 2 inches forward of the forend. Groups about 5inches at 25m. Sitting in safe but has sentimental value so a full rebarrel at some stage is inevitable.

User

Krico did manufacture for Anschutz at one point.

I would go for 20 inch cause I like how it looks.Be careful with older rimfire target rifles though, some models are rumoured to have a crimp at the end of the barrel. People have cut this 'rumoured' crimp and had even better accuracy but it is still a nice to know if the opportunity ever arise.

Goodluck

User

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    Krico did manufacture for Anschutz at one point. I would go for 20 inch cause I like how it looks.Be careful with older rimfire target rifles though, some models are rumoured to have a crimp at the end of the barrel. People have cut this 'rumoured' crimp and had even better accuracy but it is still a nice to know if the opportunity ever arise. Goodluck
    Using googlefu last night i read about the Anschutz/Krico comparability and possible magazine compatibility. Looking for a 5round mag so hoping something to the extent of the above. ( it has the 10 round mag currently). I much prefer the brnos/cz rifles due to spares but this is what was available at the time. Then again variety is the spice of life.

User

You'll see the mags are sometimes rare and then all of a sudden there is 10 so you definitely have a good chance of getting them one sunny day. Kmag is the alternative but I didn't have a chance to compare them next to each other.

If the Anschutz magazine compatibility works out for you it will be very interesting to hear about it.
    Goodluck

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast