User

Default Free floating rail alignment and bending

Talk to me about a free float rail installation, how easy is it to bend or get out of alignment with the barrel? I understand with a scope mounted on the upper only, this won't be a problem but when using a front and rear open sight, it obviously is or could be. I don't want to go bend on my FF rail or barrel to experiment.

Default Re: Free floating rail alignment and bending

I've installed two, first was a Keymod First Strike, then I upgraded to an ALG M-LOK. If you have the correct tools and read the instructions carefully it is hard to go wrong. There are two types of attachment: the two mentioned above involve the use of shims to get the timing right between the rail and the upper, the second ( Yankee Hill, I think) involves a two part nut with one part to which the rail is attached that moves independently of the barrel nut to get the timing right. Mechanically the second method is better, and more precise. Also the rails usually have little "wings" on them to align with the upper, so it is hard to make a foul up.

The rails are very stiff, unless you adopt some cave man grip you really cannot bend them.

User

it helps if you have an overly large picatinny mounting device. like the old M16 top handgrip. you can then simply clamp it over both sections of the upper rail to properly align the two, and then secure/clamp the rail down.

User

Sorry I meant once it's installed, how much does it bend without us knowing etc.

User

the rail is primarily there just to protect the barrel from external forces, so that you can maintain your zero while your optic is mounted on the separate upper receiver.
    personally, with the shape of rails (square or round), your rifle would have to experience a severe event to physically deform the rail's zero. are you planning on pulling a Lone Survivor.... high-dive off a couple mountain cliffs with your rifle?

User

Although it is a good question. Plenty of places will tell you putting an optic on a handguard rail is a no-no.

Then all BUIS front sights are mounted on the handguard. How is this not wrong too?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    Although it is a good question. Plenty of places will tell you putting an optic on a handguard rail is a no-no.

Then all BUIS front sights are mounted on the handguard. How is this not wrong too?
    nothing's stopping you from moving the front sight to the upper receiver.
    pros vs cons