Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Feral Pigs

User

Default Feral Pigs

Shot placement wasn't great.. Tried to nail two witha single shot..

User

Default Re: Feral Pigs

I am not a hunter, but I understood the goal was to try kill the animal as quickly and painlessly as possible?

Quote Originally Posted by jdvisagie View Post
    Shot placement wasn't great.. Tried to nail two witha single shot..
    Wouldn't the risk of wounding and unreasonable suffering be high if you try and get clever?

Did you recovery the 2 or 3 pigs that you shot at?

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I am not a hunter, but I understood the goal was to try kill the animal as quickly and painlessly as possible?
    Yep, that's true.

But this ain't hunting, as the heading of the section implies this is vermin control.
    These things you exterminate with utmost prejudice, they cause millions of rands in damage with crops.

It's not nice to see, but some things in life is unpleasant.
    We should cut the OP a bit of slack, he did not say he was hunting, he said he shot poorly :)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Yep, that's true.

But this ain't hunting, as the heading of the section implies this is vermin control.
    These things you exterminate with utmost prejudice, they cause millions of rands in damage with crops.

It's not nice to see, but some things in life is unpleasant.
    We should cut the OP a bit of slack, he did not say he was hunting, he said he shot poorly :)
    Well said.

Personally I think one should still have some ethical compass. Vermin or not. I accept though we are all different, each to their own.

He clearly needs a much better suppressor (if he was using one at all, that is).
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Absolutely... Always the goal.. Have shot quite a few of these pigs with this caliber (7mm RM) and in most cases that bullet goes through with allot of energy remaining. I've seen the bullet go through a large pig and a small tree behind it. So, it was really a calculated risk... This rifle's POI is 4cm high at 100m, so height was ok. Shot was just a little far back for my liking.

And it's 100% what Messor says.. This isn't hunting and these pigs is really a huge problem on some farms. They dig up very expensive/rare vintages, which have taken many years and rands to establish. And that's not only an excuse...

This particular evening the farmer specifically asked me to come around asap. The order was "shoot as many as possible!". This group have been digging up he's place the last couple of evenings - badly.

At night we see allot of animals, fellow deer, duikers, bush buck, porcupines etc etc.. We never shoot only to kill or for bloodlust. It's purely varminting! So yes, not a nice thing to see sometimes and we can only try do it more effective each time.

BTW: Both the pigs from that first shot was found in the morning. So the risky trick worked out.. For the farmer that is..

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Personally I think one should still have some ethical compass. Vermin or not. I accept though we are all different, each to their own.
    Noted Springer.. As I added, not ideal but we only try to become more effective (for both animal and farmer) and always improve on techniques.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast