Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Affordable hunting farms near Pretoria/Johannesburg

Affordable hunting.. What is that??

User

Excellent, thanks man! @virgil, it's when you don't end up paying more for a tent in the bushveld than 4-star accommodation in a hotel in Umhlanga Rocks.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Excellent, thanks man! @virgil, it's when you don't end up paying more for a tent in the bushveld than 4-star accommodation in a hotel in Umhlanga Rocks.
    Yeah good luck with that! The prices some guys ask for game and all the extras is absolutely absurd! I take my hunting to Nam or to some friends with game but good luck with your search.

Just a heads-up, watch out for guys who advertise they have game and when you pitch up there's practically nothing on the whole farm because most of his game died due to drought or whatever other reason. Happened to a couple of people I know but it's difficult to know in advance. Try and get something with references

User

I'll keep a keen eye, thanks dude. It's usually the guys with cheap accommodation and expensive game that has plenty to shoot, and the guys with expensive accommodation and cheap game that has nothing on the farms left over.

User

Those with rules like minimum 6 hunters and minimum 2/3 nights stay

User

Sadly what is affordable is up to you to decide. Two years ago I wanted to shoot a eland, was quoted around R12 000 for a good sized bull. Found a place in Natal that had some for R8000, and the one I shot was 334 dressed without skin, but had a scew horn...I didn't mind the horn, I wanted meat.

Some guys are happy to pay R1k+ for a springbuck, R2500+ for a blesbuck etc... not me..as stated above, I phone and negotiate..

On the other side, some hunters are their own worst enemies. Coming to shoot one bokkie, then wanting to drink as hard as possible for a few days away from the wife, puking all over the place and breaking stuff.. They give us all a bad name :(

User

Y'see, that's not us. I fully understand the type you're describing, and I've been on a trip or two with such. I leave home early if that's the case. We usually make the hunting a family outing, wife comes along and the idea is to spend time in the bush. I've always said that spending time in the bush is my main focus - getting biltong to bring home is just an extra to me. As such we struggle to find places that believe us when I say "we don't really drink, and we won't require 9 bakkies full of wood because we go to bed at like 21:00 anyway". It's getting hard for us types :(

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Y'see, that's not us. I fully understand the type you're describing, and I've been on a trip or two with such. I leave home early if that's the case. We usually make the hunting a family outing, wife comes along and the idea is to spend time in the bush. I've always said that spending time in the bush is my main focus - getting biltong to bring home is just an extra to me. As such we struggle to find places that believe us when I say "we don't really drink, and we won't require 9 bakkies full of wood because we go to bed at like 21:00 anyway". It's getting hard for us types :(
    +1

User

Thankfully we have found that the farms where we hunt, don't drink, pay our bill on departure without issue are always happy to have us back and negotiate. We don't spend a lot in the bigger picture, but between me and my hunting buddy it's usually a R30k bill (I do save through the year for this).

Two years ago, we went to a skeptical farmer who accommodated us in Natal. He told us be ready 6am on the Friday morning (probably thinking we will be ready by 8am). 6am as he came from his room, we were waiting and ready. He was surprised. We went out, told him what we wanted, and shot 1 x Eland, 2 x BWB, 2 x Blesbuck, 1 x Kudu bull and 1 x Warthog in one day, back at the farm house by 4pm. Nothing but water on the bakkie, no beers etc.

We relaxed the next day (Saturday), having a lekker brunch, then afternoon sleep followed by a game drive. That evening we all settled our bills without question. Sunday 7am we were loaded and departed. By that time the farmer had warmed up to us and had a noticeable different attitude. We know we'll always be welcome there, and he is happy to be a reference for us.

User

Give Elgro River Lodge a call on (081) 297511 The owner, Kobus, has a couple of farms in the Potch area with plenty game. When I was down there for the Yellow Fishing festival he offered me surplus Eland sub-adult bulls for R4k. He can put you up with self-catering at the river lodge at very reasonable prices. Great guy to deal with.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast