Thread: Mauser 308

Default Mauser 308

Hi all. Ive been offered this rifle.im hoping to get some info on its value and price i should look at paying.also the type of use i should consider with this rifle and calibre. lm told its a 308 mauser ww2 manufactured.im told the stock has been changed.im new to rifles having only owned handguns.any help would be appreciated. regards zaheer
    Attached Images Attached Images

User

Default Re: Mauser 308

It's a stepped barrel Mauser. I've got the same, also in 308. Great rifle, accurate, easy to use. I just move as an all round hunting rifle. Mine was a converted Colombian army issue.

Price, not sure, mine was gifted. It's not worth a lot, but I'm very happy with mine.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks graham.soumds good.appreciate your feedback.keen to hear from others and hopefully some pricing.would you guys suggest this as a first rifle or something more modern.my use would be occasional hunting...not more than once every 2 years and probably 5 times a year range shooting.i know its budget driven as well.im hoping to spend the least but on a reliable, able to access spare parts and trustful gun.i am open to saving and buying modern as well.thanks.

User

It's been sported so half it's value is already gone down the drain.
    What is the bore looking like?
    What scope is included? I can't make it out.

User

Hi Zaheer

It is an Israeli Mauser. The crest on the receiver is the IDF crest. It is a military Stepped barrel. The rifle was most likely converted from 8x57mm to 7.62 in the early 50's. Unmolested these rifles are worth about R4500 depending on the provenance of the original receiver (Original German or later Czech or Belgian FN). As a general shooter it would work great, but overall value I would put at about R2500 to be honest.

Regards

Paul

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vatikaki View Post
    Hi Zaheer

It is an Israeli Mauser. The crest on the receiver is the IDF crest. It is a military Stepped barrel. The rifle was most likely converted from 8x57mm to 7.62 in the early 50's. Unmolested these rifles are worth about R4500 depending on the provenance of the original receiver (Original German or later Czech or Belgian FN). As a general shooter it would work great, but overall value I would put at about R2500 to be honest.

Regards

Paul
    It is an Israeli surplus mauser. These were based mainly on surplus mausers made in Czech. In the 1950's the Israeli's commissioned FN to rebarrel them to 7.62 Nato. The are solid reliable rifles and if in good condition are very accurate. If the barrel is good and it has no problems I would value it at more than R2500.

Thank you all for the info.it has been helpful.much appreciated

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vatikaki View Post
    Hi Zaheer

Regards

Paul
    This one was obviously built on a FN-made Mauser action.

I would agree on the price of R2,5k. If the bore is good, it is quite usefull. If bad, you have a WW2 FN action to build a custom gun on. They usually go for more than R2,5k, so you could go up a little with the price, but definitely not more than R4k.

Banned

Sold mine and regret it - 8500. Solid no shit real thing barrel and action.Hated the stepped barrel from day one and guess thats why I sold it in truth. There is so nothing wrong with a .308 Israeli Mauser.New stock and its a forever rifle, all being good - barrel action etc.
    I will buy every one i get at 2 k.

Great.makes me even more confident now.just to confirm condition. Hopefully all well.thanks.