Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Meat damage revisited, monolithics etc.

Exit hole after the quartering shot. Thanks for the replies, very valid points Messor and Tstone.
    http://

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    People forget you get slow and heavy in conventional bullets, or fast and light in mono bullets (by design).
    If a slow and heavy cup and core stays together it gives flawless performance, while a mono needs speed, causing the effects in post 2.
    A berger looses structural integrity causing massive tissue and organ damage, but it must be placed good unlike a mono which is happy with heavy shoulder bone.

If you play around with any combination we can possibly come up with, then shot placement rules the day by far, regardless of the equip used.
    The effect seen from post two was probably from speed. The shot was behind the shoulder and did not hit any bone. If a slower bullet was used it might have been a different scenario.

Shot placement is more important than equipment. Fellow hunter shot a gemsbuck last year with 243 PMP ammo, perfect behind shoulder shot and it expired within 20m. If said shot was 5cm more forward it would have been a different story.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 264WinMag View Post
    The effect seen from post two was probably from speed.
    Which all in all is very ironic ain't it?

Because despite that which many manufacturers claim, speed have always been the cause of meat damage, regardless of bullet construction.

User

One of the local mono bullet manufacturers specifically said that it has less meat damage under all circumstances, glad that myth has been busted.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Guy presenting AirArmshuntingSA on Youtube.Very nice to watch. Was Shooting Blessbuck with 260 Berger VLD. Those VLD seem to be seriously impressive at dumping energy inside animal. The Blessbuck fell like bricks. And no meat damage.
    Two were shot in the head, so different context. The third animal was a spine shot (op die knoppe- and the shot was slightly pulled IMO). I.e. A high chest shot. Those guys are long range hunters, hence using soft bullets. They're going to get caught out sooner or later taking a close range shot and the bullet will blow up with resultant meat damage.As has been pointed out many times here, placement is key and those guys can really shoot.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I still don't understand how a bullet can drop an animal in its tracks, with a heart lung shot, and yet cause no meat damage. Surely a bullet that does that kind of damage to organs are going to cause the same kind of damage to muscle?
    I wonder if the phenomenon on the heart shot is sometimes more to do with the heart pump cycle than the bullet used. An example I recall being referenced in The Perfect Shot.

It was explained quite well by shooting into a partially empty water bottle vs a full water bottle and the differences in the effect on the 2 bottles was remarkable, the one literally "exploded"...likewise he states the same is with the heart where it is either full of blood in its pump cycle or not, when the bullet hits and passes through.

His deduction is that you can fire 2 identical bullets at same distance, velocity, placement, etc and one will "drop" an animal in its tracks as its heart "explodes" and the other will not...based on where in the pump cycle the heart is.

I have never verified his theory further than watching the video, but it seems to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Which all in all is very ironic ain't it?

Because despite that which many manufacturers claim, speed have always been the cause of meat damage, regardless of bullet construction.
    But we need speed to get very far :)

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    One of the local mono bullet manufacturers specifically said that it has less meat damage under all circumstances, glad that myth has been busted.
    I have loaded another brand of mono's which I will probably get to test in June on some blesbuck and will try a duplicate shot to see what is the difference. They are traveling about 350fps slower than the other mono.

Has anyone tried to cut the affected area out before placing the animal in the cold room. Brother lost almots 10kg of meat on a kudu he shot with bloodshot meat. Damage was only realized after kudu hung in cold room for 2 days. shot was behind the shoulder.

User

I always remove the bloody area immediately after skinning, since blood spoils quickly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast