Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pheasant shoot

User

Default Pheasant shoot

The Cape is desperate for rain and we pray there will be much-needed relief soon. While we are getting "handed lemons" we are making the best of these beautiful sunny days.

Can't wait to get these birds in the pot - I will put our pheasants up with anybody's in the country for the most tastiest and tender birds you have eaten in your life.

Our "shoot lunch" can be as simple as a nice brunch under the trees, or a more luxurious affair...but always out in the open. :)

Always room for something sweet. :)

Special recipe for these fine birds.

Give them a nice tan.

My wife loved these, as a special treat for mothers day and arguably better than most restaurants can but hope to dish up - like she always says, if your man can hunt you will never go hungry. :-)

Default Re: Pheasant shoot

Very nice indeed. Not being picky, but they aren't Pheasant. Them be Cape Francolin, now called "Spurfowl".

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Thank you for sharing. Looks very good.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Very nice indeed. Not being picky, but they aren't Pheasant. Them be Cape Francolin, now called "Spurfowl".
    Thanks Springer.
    Not being picky either but "The Cape spurfowl, or Cape francolin (Pternistis capensis) is a gamebird in the pheasant family Phasianidae." :) We mostly refer to them as "Kaapse fisant".

User

Looks great.

How about sharing the recipe?

Thats awesome! I would love the recipe! Have you ever had success with guinafowl and if so pray tell the secret!!?!

Forget about the technical names. Why is there no invite? LOL.

Pheasant is by far my favorite bird species to take on in Western Cape area.

User

I use mixed herbs and seasoning (mostly Ina Paarman) - whatever your preference is. Give the cleaned and skinned birds lots good rubbing love. Brown them in butter (not the 'low cholesterol' stuff). :)
    Remove the birds and use the same pot to saute onions, mushrooms and bacon (I get mine from my butcher and use slab bacon which I cut into small chunks). Don't overdue the saute ie. get the butter too hot or burned. I then stuff the birds with the mixture and return them to the pot. I love limes (not lemons) from my own trees and squeeze the juice from two good sized ones into the pot. You can add your favourite white wine, from the Cape of course - I just used Chardonnay. I slowly simmer it for about an hour on low heat - basting and turning the birds twice.

Enjoy!

User

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGregory View Post
    Thats awesome! I would love the recipe! Have you ever had success with guinafowl and if so pray tell the secret!!?!
    Best guina I've ever had was done by browning the breasts in butter after a good salt and pepper rub, and a slow simmer till done. Left overnight and eaten on the following morning's pig hunt with good coffee boiled over an open fire and some fresh farm bread with lots of butter. A friend's wife prepared it and damn it was tasty. I've promissed myself to see it being done first-hand during my next visit.

User

Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast