Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Work Sharp guided sharpening system

Hi

Does anyone maybe have knowledge, advice or an impression on the Work Sharp guided sharpening system?

I have used fixed angle sharpeners, but have not tried my hand at using stones myself.
    I was wondering if this was maybe another option?

Thanks

User

Default Re: Work Sharp guided sharpening system

I bought one two years ago and love it. It has different angles for working and kitchen knifes.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    I bought one two years ago and love it. It has different angles for working and kitchen knifes.
    Thank you, Skip.

User

It's a great bit of kit. Takes most of the skill (and also the fun) out of sharpening. No doubt about the results though. I can sharpen all my knives to a razor edge in minutes. Used to take me hours with a Lansky and a Sharpmaker.

Banned

I have not used it but it looks good. Take care not to overheat your blades.

User

I personally don't like the idea of using an electronic tool to sharpen a knife, doing it by hand takes slower but also it's slower to mess up...

I've used the lanky system and it's a good overall budget sharpener that you can get decent edges on. The Spyderco Sharpmaker is quicker, more convenient and less messy but that I feel is more for touch ups - re profiling an edge is not fun on that system.

My favorite system is the EdgePro , it is far from cheap especially at this exchange rate and it takes a level of skill (nowhere near free hand ) but if you keep the knife still you can get edges that whittle hair and slice toilet paper. But many people don't need that level of extreme sharpness.

Despite all all of this, I can't recommend enough to make yourself a strop and buy some stropping compound - if you've put a decent edge on a knife the strop will take it to the next level and it provides a platform to quickly and easily maintain the edge of a knife. I sharpen maybe 3/4 times a year whereas I strop weekly and my knives never go below shaving sharp. I had materials lying around and the strop setup only cost was the compound (100 bucks), if anyone wants some more advice I can help with regards to the strop ...

Hi all

I might have caused a bit of confusion here.

I was referring to the manual system, not the electric version like the Ken Onion version for example.

http://www.worksharptools.com/guided...ng-system.html

You still have to sharpen it on a stone.

Extract from Work Sharp:

"The innovative Pivot-Response System follows the curve of the blade while sharpening, putting a sharp edge along the entire length of the blade. The skill is built into the tool. No jigs. No clamps. No nonsense.
    Use the GSS to put a perfect edge on your pocket, hunting, and kitchen knives – as well as serrations, fish hooks, and tools – while mastering your manual sharpening skills."

User

That looks good , no personal experience although I'd buy that before any of the power options.

Just remember to practice on some cheap or old knives first.

Pair a strop with that setup and you can definitely get some good edges on your blades!

Thank you for all the input everyone.

Sorry for the confusion.

LeftShot, Yes, I am looking to use this to later progress to more free hand sharpening so to try and mastering it that way.

Thanks again.

Leftshot, I'd appreciate the details on the strop and the compound please

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast