User

Default Oldschool Maglights.

I've recently uncovered two fossils, one a 2D cell Maglight and one 4D cell. The 2D has an original LED upgrade and the 4D still has an incandescent lamp. Is there any point in keeping these?

Besides something like a Malkoff is there a decent (cheap) LED upgrade module for them?

My bedside light is a 9P with a TNVC turbo head, my EDC is a 800lumen Klarus, my kids have 200 lumen Streamlights, my wife's bedside light is a G2 with a TNVC drop in, our car lights are those pathetic cigarette lighter lights which outshine the Maglights by order of magnitudes. I have less than zero use for a <60lumen Maglight.

Any suggestions?

User

Default Re: Oldschool Maglights.

hey, i also have a 3 cell mag light, my LED upgraded globe separated from the base and went back to the normal globe, really shitty yellow light, but remarkable moer tool, this mag light has broken more car windows and 2 clavicles since I got it in 2005, and it will stay in my car to do the same going forward.
    thus, I would say, swop the LED from the 2cell to the 4 cell and leave it in your car, you never know when you gonna need a moer tool, and your little EDC LED's will by null void in that scenario.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac595 View Post
    hey, i also have a 3 cell mag light, my LED upgraded globe separated from the base and went back to the normal globe, really shitty yellow light, but remarkable moer tool, this mag light has broken more car windows and 2 clavicles since I got it in 2005, and it will stay in my car to do the same going forward.
    thus, I would say, swop the LED from the 2cell to the 4 cell and leave it in your car, you never know when you gonna need a moer tool, and your little EDC LED's will by null void in that scenario.
    But my G17 with X300U makes a damn sight better tool. If something needs moering it could probably do with shooting.

User

not every moering needs a shooting, lol
    back when the clavicles got fractured under my mag light I didn't have the firearm yet, but smashing a car window is a lot safer and more acceptable than shooting a car window.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac595 View Post
    not every moering needs a shooting, lol
    back when the clavicles got fractured under my mag light I didn't have the firearm yet, but smashing a car window is a lot safer and more acceptable than shooting a car window.
    Meh I have other tools for that, admittedly I don't know how well a rescue hammer will work for reals but I always have a tyre iron if a window really needs caving in.

I'll admit a large Maglight makes a handy batton, and no not EVERY moering needs shooting but I'm not likely to have my Maglight with me anyway as I have an EDC torch which is brighter and handier, with good runtime.

User

Put them up for PIF

User

I have an LED 3 D-cell version hanging up on the wall in case I don't have my edc torch on me and the power goes out. Maybe that is an option to mount it in your house somewhere or even in your car ?

I watched a Youtube video where one was converted into a suppressor, quite interesting.

User

My LGS still has a few 4-cell LED conversion modules in stock. Well worth the price of you intend to keep using it.

I have also seen an alternative brand LED conversion. It was rated for 2-5 cells. Not sure how good.

Very few innocent-looking objects make as good a moering tool as a Maglite. With a bit of training, they are quite effective against human vermin. They are also a little less loud than a gun, and don't need any paperwork. Yes, they can make a little light too...

Besides converting it into a silencer, I have also seen pics of one converted to a shotgun. Hmmm... Hopefully a smaller guage than 12. Wonder what that would be good for?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    Put them up for PIF
    That is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftShot View Post
    I have an LED 3 D-cell version hanging up on the wall in case I don't have my edc torch on me and the power goes out. Maybe that is an option to mount it in your house somewhere or even in your car ?
    I could do this I suppose but I haven't needed them in year, I have loads of other battery lights for that.

I watched a Youtube video where one was converted into a suppressor, quite interesting.
    Hahahahahahaha. I'll have to look into that.

Are there any modern LED units (500 lumen +) that would make them worthwhile for the bulk?

User

rather take them and ziplock them in a bag with batteries and stash them, like with your spare wheel, up in the ceiling etc....you never know when a random light could be handy