Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MLE or SMLE

Default Re: MLE or SMLE

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. And here I thought that I was going to research for weeks on end.

Im happy to see that so many of my fellow south africans still care for this history so much.

One more question. If it was rebarreled by the UDF. did they usually not fit the front stock and bionet lug? so this firearm is original war state?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

User

From what Daan said in my thread the SMLE barrel was slightly thinner and shorter that the original MLE one, so it was to much effort to get the fore-end and bayonet mount fitted.

Out of interest, does your bolt have a dust cover on it or not?

Hey Darkstar. sorry. I just read your thread now. and i saw the barrel part. very intersting history. Mine has dust cover as far as I can tell. I do not have a photo of it now. will share later if you are intersted.

So did the upgraded barrel make it a mk1 *.

Also, I think thats propably why it has the Victoria Regina Monarch Cypher 2nd Proof stamp on it. I so happy that there is a much smaller chance that this weapon has been tamperd with after the war.

User

Hi, Mr Pieterse,

Your rifle has been "sporterised" following its military career. This is how it would have appeared following its barrel change by the UDF.

The attached photo is of a similar MLE Mk.I*, but by Enfield, which has had its original barrel replaced while in service with a BSA commercial.

Attachment 26031

Hi Terrylee. This contradicts Daan's theory. I have seen the front stock is missing.

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...-S-A-303-rifle

I guess that it will be difficult to know for sure what happened to it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Terrylee View Post
    Hi, Mr Pieterse,

Your rifle has been "sporterised" following its military career. This is how it would have appeared following its barrel change by the UDF.

The attached photo is of a similar MLE Mk.I*, but by Enfield, which has had its original barrel replaced while in service with a BSA commercial.

Attachment 26031
    I guess we will never know for sure, but I suspect some UDF armourers were just more diligent than others. Some went through the effort to modify the fore-end and refit the bayonet mount, others just lobbed off the fore-end all together.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
    I guess we will never know for sure, but I suspect some UDF armourers were just more diligent than others. Some went through the effort to modify the fore-end and refit the bayonet mount, others just lobbed off the fore-end all together.
    I think Id like to restore it. try and find the woodwork. What do you think?

User

So far as I can see, we are not comparing like with like. The rifle featured in Darkstar's post of 13.04.2013 appears to me to have originally been what is referred to in the South African Military Archives as a "No.1 Converted". That was an upgrade the UDF did to some of the expropriated Long Lees with shot-out barrels during the Second World War.

User

10:1 it's been "sporterised" by somebody outside of a military armoury.

Can you post a picture of the action taken from the right hand side?

Hi Guys,

I will post bolt Pic soon. There are a lot of simularities between Darkstar's Rifle and mine.

I cant wait for proper strip down and cleaning. just waiting for License. rifle os still at my grandfather.

Thanks for the responses

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast