Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Uganda hasn't had a hunting industry for 50 years and the skills have been lost so we need to retrain the locals and to do that, we need to bring in staff from Tanzania.

This first trip, we had a Tanzanian skinner and for the last few days a cook and for the next one, I'll bring in my head tracker from Tanzania to make my life easier. We'll also take 2 or 3 Ugandans along to provide extra muscle and get some basic training.

We also try to pick up a local ex poacher from each area we hunt and use him for the time we're in his area and also the local game scouts are the best I've seen anywhere in Africa.

On this one, I did the tracking myself but frankly, it wasn't difficult because we got onto the animals quickly and they didn't go far after the shot. The buff only went about 20 yards before going down.... although he was trying to get up again when we got up to him but the client and I both whacked him again and the combined energy from my .500 and his .458 soon put a stop to that.

Incidentally, I just spoke to Ken Stewart and he told me they cropped half a million roan antelope out of that area in his day as part of the tsetse fly control programme which eventually failed....... now there are less than a handful in the entire reserve. How times change huh!

A few more pics

Pian Upe

Rain in Kampala just before we set off

I could hardly stand up when we shot the buffalo because I had malaria and felt like ****

Defassa waterbuck

Just cool scenery near Mount Elgon

Stuck again

New kit for croc fishing....sadly we ran out of time so I didn't get the chance to introduce the client to my favourite sport!

Leopard spoor

Magnificent!

One of the very last such spots left on earth no doubt, although if left alone others could eventually come close. Thank you so very much for those pics...I now have new wallpaper on my desktop screen.

Awesome in the true sense of the word.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Fantastic!
    I was in Uganda few years ago to kayak the Nile and really wanted to go to Karamoja. It wasn't advised apparently. Looks great!

User

You must have been there just before they started the clean up. It's as safe or safer now as most other African hunting destinations..... and the clean up along with the new hunting agreement with the locals has put a pretty good stop to the poaching.

We didn't see a single sign of poaching at all and the locals are now very welcoming to tourist hunters.

I've gotta tell you, the Karamoja would knock your socks off!!!!!!!

User

Default Re: Hunting Karamoja Uganda

I am in love! Thanks for such great pics and posts.

User

Let me know if you need someone to carry your ammo on your next trip there.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Awsum place my dreams keep getting bigger. Thanks for the photos

User

I've only seen this thread now! (Thanks Trailblazer.)

Awesome pictures and it is a spectacular place. The waterfall in your cool scenery picture on the North side of Mount Elgon is the Sipi falls - 99m high - which I posted on in my Africa Safari-thread.

Karamoja is just about as far away from 'civilisation' as you can get, the people are friendly and the game still roams pretty much free.

Man! I miss Uganda..!
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

Amazing. My new goal in life is to hunt the Karamoja. Thank you for the pictures, mind blowing.

Amazing,thanks.
    i take knives to a gunfight

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast