Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Slamfires

Default Slamfires

What is the root cause of a slam fire?

Reason I ask is that this last weekend I got a whole bunch of unintended double taps I had never got before with a particular lot of ammo I had reloaded. The only difference between then and now is the installation of a Maxim SCS, so that is the prime suspect.

comments please

User

Default Re: Slamfires

Have you touched the trigger group at all?

Well Theron is on it. Something inside trigger group. Is making the sear slip.
    Or your unintentionally pulling twice.

Trigger group is a Chip McCormick, never given trouble before...
    So an AR can only fire if the hammer hits the firing pin? IOW the sear is being jarred by the heavy return slam of the CG?

User

A common cause we see of what your describing is bump firing. Were you holding the rifle firmly or did you loosen up a little on your grip?
    Last edited by BigT; 23-05-2017 at 16:26.

Rifle was firmly held. It happened three times with me and once with my buddy. Looking through other forums it could be:
    Stuck/dirty Firing pin
    High Primer ( I load on a Dillon 550)
    Sensitive primers (I use Winchester SRP)

looking through the fired brass there were 2 or 3 I noticed have primer strikes that are not deep and indented, they have shallow crater type strikes. Not wondering if these were the slam fire rounds....

Fairly certain I can rule out high primers as well, just inspected the remaining 300 odd cartridges from that lot and not one high primer to be found. So statistically, that cannot be the cause.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Xkv8r View Post
    Looking through other forums it could be: Stuck/dirty Firing pin..
    FA tech problem as you mentioned. Inspect firing pin and trigger assembly.
    User problem like involuntary squeesing the trigger during recoil. AD or ND could be dangerous

Winchester rifle primers are pretty soft. Had an interesting time with some of their ammo in my LM6. 7 slamfires in a row while trying to shoot them over a chrony.

It is also possible that the new stock/spring setup that you are running imparts greater return force to the bolt. This, coupled with the primers, may lead to slam fires.

Try going back to your old stock/spring setup with the same ammo and see what happens.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

The AR has a floating firing pin which strikes the primer on every normal cycle. If you are using soft primers (pistol?) it is quite feasible that cycling could u cause a slam fire.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast