Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Drugs and Darting

Hi all.

Not sure where to put this but maybe the right person reads it and who knows things happen from there.

As i understand it years back (90's) i was in my teens game farmers had access the the the M99 drug used for darting game for various reasons. They developed the the dosages for animals on a trial and error bases remembering size plays no part on dosage amount but species type does (ie a Nyala uses more drugs than a Rhino for example). We have upgraded to other drugs now so using M99 as a basis. They/We are however now restricted to veterinarians and the drugs are highly regulated even to them. As i understand one of the main reasons was the poaching of Rhino with these drugs- any truth in this? Lets be honest poachers use all means and rifles are more popular.

Owning a game farm or conservation reserve makes using vets to come dart an animal extremely expensive, inefficient and often they will have to come out 5 times to dart one animal whereby if a registered farm had the drug it would be available within 10 minutes of a sighting, keep eyes on animal and dart. It really seems like a monopoly created to charge ridiculous call out fees. I mean general penicillin used by farmers on stock was being talked about as being restricted to vets only. We use it on a daily basis!

So back to my point. Maybe someone can shed some light as i have some very influential people that would possibly like to take this further. Who regulates veterinary drugs-where can i follow up on this? What was the reason for the initial regulation? I feel a registered game farm should have access to these drugs personally.

Regards

User

Default Re: Drugs and Darting

I recall that it was available and we used it at the Farm I hunt on.
    It is strictly regulated now due to the poaching, and I don't expect it to change.
    Dangerous stuff though
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    I recall that it was available and we used it at the Farm I hunt on.It is strictly regulated now due to the poaching, and I don't expect it to change.Dangerous stuff though
    Yup i remember my old man using it. Definitely dangerous but so are many things. A nessessary requirement to a registered game farm in my opinion

User

Last time I was in Hluhluwe Umfolzoii filming for WWF there were two adult female rhinos in the rehab bomas that had been found darted and their hornes chopped off

User

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    Last time I was in Hluhluwe Umfolzoii filming for WWF there were two adult female rhinos in the rehab bomas that had been found darted and their hornes chopped off
    Not saying it doesn't happen. If they had rifles would they be in rehab? The last month all poachers caught here in the EC have had hunting rifles and semi-autos.The last 5 poached rhino i inspected were shot with rifles-should we ban rifle?Poaching is an issue and restricting drugs or rifles aint gonna stop it im afraid. Same as banning guns wont stop gun related crime.As a bussiness side i see no practical reason for restricting said drugs. A registered farmer will abide by the same regulations as any veterinarian.

User

At one stage I got involved in developing radio transmitters to fit in the darts. At the time was also asked to look at alternative, un-regulated tranquilising chemicals. Came up with about 3 possibilities that were easy to synthesise, but none were as ideal as M99. he best alternatives were all opiates, which once again brings in a regulation problem.
    This may have been profitable, eventually, but some work is bet not undertaken. I stuck with the darts' radio beacons, and left the drug side to others.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    At one stage I got involved in developing radio transmitters to fit in the darts. At the time was also asked to look at alternative, un-regulated tranquilising chemicals. Came up with about 3 possibilities that were easy to synthesise, but none were as ideal as M99. he best alternatives were all opiates, which once again brings in a regulation problem.This may have been profitable, eventually, but some work is bet not undertaken. I stuck with the darts' radio beacons, and left the drug side to others.
    Have used those darts. Possibly your design/work? At one stage we used an imported brand and had issues whereby the impact dented the battery causing a loose conection and loss of power to the transmitter. These were 500k impala in thick bush. Was interesting....

User

Will M66 not suffice? As far as I know it is a weaker version of M99. It is not regulated (according to game farm owner where I hunted this weekend).

User

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    Not saying it doesn't happen. If they had rifles would they be in rehab? The last month all poachers caught here in the EC have had hunting rifles and semi-autos.The last 5 poached rhino i inspected were shot with rifles-should we ban rifle?Poaching is an issue and restricting drugs or rifles aint gonna stop it im afraid. Same as banning guns wont stop gun related crime.As a bussiness side i see no practical reason for restricting said drugs. A registered farmer will abide by the same regulations as any veterinarian.
    I was responding to your question of "any truth to this?" in the OP

User

/Quote Have used those darts. Possibly your design/work? At one stage we used an imported brand and had issues whereby the impact dented the battery causing a loose conection and loss of power to the transmitter. These were 500k impala in thick bush. Was interesting.... /

I only made a limited number of these. Client had a different view as to what my R&D skills were worth. I don't think he had enough info to duplicate my work, so that is where it ended. There were some imported units that I looked at, and x-rayed, etc. Gave me a starting point.
    The drug synth would have been interesting, but very time-consuming to get right. Would never have got my money back though. Also, anaesthesia and tranquilisation are not in my core area of expertise.

A serious difference in philosophy exists. The 'custodians' of wild life in a few cases seem to feel that technical services (from myself) must come at a very low price, for no other reason than they are "conserving" the previously mentioned wildlife. This view has been strongest from those in receipt of foreign "research money" It is a strange world we live in. I admit my experience sample is limited to about 3 cases, so is a generalisation.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast