Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: competency certificate expire?

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    I checked the wording on mine, and yes exactly that. I realise that legal wording can be hard to understand and that CFR/SAPS wording not easy either, but the meaning of that leaves no doubt in my mind. It says that the competency expires when the last licence issued on the strength of that competency expires. That must mean (1) that my competency issued in 2013 doesn't expire till 2018 earliest, that being five years (2) as my S&W rollie was licenced in 2014 on the basis of that competency, the competency expires in 2024 if I don't buy another gun but (3) if I buy another gun for occasional sport in 2023 the same competency will be valid until 2033. It means in fact that a competency will never expire as long as I buy another gun before its expiry date.
    Resurrecting an old(er) thread from 2+ years ago.....

Please would somebody comment about whether the above position still applies now (viz. Aug 2019, more than 2 years after the above comments).

When I last spoke to my DFO, she seemed to believe that this is still the case. In addition, my original competency was for (a) handgun, (b) manually operated rifle; and (c) shotgun (viz. all 3 weapons on one competency). So does this mean that any new firearm bought using this competency will extend the life of the competency until the expiry of the last-expiring licence for which this competency was used (viz. the most recent firearm (a pistol) I licenced under section 16 with this competency was granted in Sept 2016 (so by my reckoning, this should mean that the competency will only expire in Sept 2026)... Yes?

I also understand that one needs to apply for the renewal of the competency at least 90 days before its deemed expiry date. Yes?

Which SAPS forms and supporting documents (if any) need to accompany the renewal? My Google searches show that the SAPS form is a SAP 518g form (Renewal of a Competency) but there also appears to be a SAP 518a form (Annexure A to Form). Are both of these needed?

Any and all advice and input (from recent competency renewals) would be much appreciated. TIA!

Quote Originally Posted by Tayls View Post

Please would somebody comment about whether the above position still applies now (viz. Aug 2019, more than 2 years after the above comments).

When I last spoke to my DFO, she seemed to believe that this is still the case. In addition, my original competency was for (a) handgun, (b) manually operated rifle; and (c) shotgun (viz. all 3 weapons on one competency). So does this mean that any new firearm bought using this competency will extend the life of the competency until the expiry of the last-expiring licence for which this competency was used (viz. the most recent firearm (a pistol) I licenced under section 16 with this competency was granted in Sept 2016 (so by my reckoning, this should mean that the competency will only expire in Sept 2026)... Yes?

I also understand that one needs to apply for the renewal of the competency at least 90 days before its deemed expiry date. Yes?

Which SAPS forms and supporting documents (if any) need to accompany the renewal? My Google searches show that the SAPS form is a SAP 518g form (Renewal of a Competency) but there also appears to be a SAP 518a form (Annexure A to Form). Are both of these needed?

Any and all advice and input (from recent competency renewals) would be much appreciated. TIA!
    I am in the process of renewing my rifle and handgun competencies.

I was given the following:

SAPS 517 (g) - Application for renewal of competency
    SAPS 91 (a) - Enquiry form - fingerprints etc
    Form to be completed by spouse and a friend - character reference.
    Copies of existing competencies
    Pay R 70.00

Hope this helps.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Luker View Post
    I am in the process of renewing my rifle and handgun competencies.

I was given the following:

SAPS 517 (g) - Application for renewal of competency
    Form to be completed by spouse and a friend - character reference.
    Copies of existing competencies
    Pay R 70.00

Hope this helps.
    Thanks bud. Presume that you got the forms from your DFO. Yes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Are there perhaps any further comments and input from other GS members in relation to timings and required supporting docs etc?

Thanks bud. Presume that you got the forms from your DFO. Yes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I did, yes. In an SAPS file folder marked renewal of competency ! I was very impressed.

I did discuss the various interpretations of the renewal of competencies in general but in
    the end I simply do what she wants. A very competent, efficient and likable person. I
    have never dealt with a more competent person in administrative matters and she is
    an absolute pleasure to deal with. In spite of this I have seen applicants give her a
    mouthful when even I know they are speaking absolute crap.

I was actually applying for a licence for a new over under shotgun. I already have a
    s/s with a current competency which she advised would be no problem. However, if
    I was applying for another rifle or handgun I could have had a problem because the
    competencies are both expired. Her advice to me was to renew them both.

Hope it goes well with your process.

User

Has anybody had recent dealings with regard to the timings for and forms to be completed for the renewal of a competency certificate (as per the above post)?

Banned

Thumbs down Re: competency certificate expire?

Quote Originally Posted by Luker View Post
    I
    Hope this helps.
    How closely have you had a look at the SAPS 91 (a) ?
    I assume it is the same one I am looking at

Second block down

"I unconditionally indemnify the South African police Services ..... Government of the Republic of South Africa ... against any liability ... from furnishing information in this regard

As far as I am concerned this is what happens to convicted criminals -- or -- the type of stuff the STASI did in East Germany !

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    How closely have you had a look at the SAPS 91 (a) ?
    I assume it is the same one I am looking at

Second block down

"I unconditionally indemnify the South African police Services ..... Government of the Republic of South Africa ... against any liability ... from furnishing information in this regard

As far as I am concerned this is what happens to convicted criminals -- or -- the type of stuff the STASI did in East Germany !
    I saw it and wondered why it was there. All it takes is to check on their side anyway ? Surely there is a database of
    convicted criminals ? And indemnify them from what ?
    As I said I just do what is required. Perhaps someone on the forum can shed some light on the reasons why.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3