Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Grouping - patterns and flyer shots in load development.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    I understand, but he doesn't even know if the rifle is a shooter or not, load development with THESE bullets is the last thing I would do at this point in time.

I would buy a box of sierra bullets, just because they shoot.
    I would then load a ladder test and shoot.

This way you immediately know if the rifle is faulty.
    If the rifle is faulty you drop load development and fix the rifle, and thus save your hunting bullets, if the rifle shoots you drop the bullets and be at peace.
    This is the logical thing to do.

User

Or even impala bullets Dale, they are cheap, well turned, and will also help with the test.
    Agreed.
    They are exceptionally uniform in terms of length and weight., but it makes sense as they are CNC machined.
    I have been shooting the 180 grain LWHV in my 9.3 with exceptional accuracy.

Banned

They did before big inch to under a inch
    Why mess around to this degree when there is absolutely no guarantee the bullets are able of good groupings to start with?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Dave,

why don't you back off the lands while testing groups. As Dale points out if you are .25mm off you could be into the lands on a longer bullet, which is a large pressure differential. Back off to 1.0mm for these tests.
    Play with the seating depth later.
    I have done so right back to 1.25 off lands, the rifle grouped well with these bullets from this distance off to .25 before it started going wrong. I used to tell people " amazing ugly cheap rifle this groups a inch or under with anything at any load.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale SH View Post
    My next suggestion was going to be to dump them but apparently Treeman has plenty of them so we are trying to help him as best as we can.
    Yes I bought 400 because they worked fine.

Fortunately I only had one box of the bullets in question so I did dump them.
    I understand, but he doesn't even know if the rifle is a shooter or not, load development with THESE bullets is the last thing I would do at this point in time.
    It as it was it was.

I would buy a box of sierra bullets, just because they shoot.
    I would then load a ladder test and shoot.
    I have not used Sierra Bullets yet, but did use (odds bin 5 or 10 or so of each) Nosler x 28 - Rhino x 12 _ GS Custom ? - Berger ? - Hornady x 50 - Tactical Tims 60/70- Hornady FMJ x 50/60

This way you immediately know if the rifle is faulty.
    If the rifle is faulty you drop load development and fix the rifle, and thus save your hunting bullets, if the rifle shoots you drop the bullets and be at peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale SH View Post
    This is the logical thing to do.

User

Dave
    Have you tried any other bullets since you started experiencing these accuracy issues ?

Banned

Excuse above jumble - i tried to use multi quote function ? (operative being tried)

Let me refresh - This rifle shot very well, not quiet a one hole rifle but you would have to do load envelopment to force it over a inch in grouping with pretty much any bullet.It was a male rifle - easy to satisfy.
    Suddenly I noticed its user was missing a lot of his targets and a few weeks later I tested it on paper after also missing 2" x 2" gongs.
    Being me I thought I had screwed up on my reloading from previous batch to this batch. Redid some reloads and it was same. Redid load development no luck. Took rifle in and was told crown pitted I have never seen a rifle rust like this AA Ruger). Cut crown and ??????? no result.Had trigger done same time.
    I happened to look down silencer and saw bullets were touching silencer. Silencer off same result. Put new Nikon scope on - same result. redo loads from start + 2/300 bullets later - same result. JB bore scrub and gunsmith clean barrel, no improvement. Gunsmith recons he see's marks near end of barrel, and shortens barrel, no improvement. Realize new scope is faulty - replace it, no results. Check records and realize lapua cases are on reload 6/7 or more. New Winchester cases and anneal lapua cases. Both cases deliver better horrible results.
    Get idea in head that velocity might help. Reload Winchester and Lapua cases to best of my Quick Load ability on edge of max. Groups suddenly as per picture - 2 in one inch and a flier.
    Two things happen at same time - Chrony dies again and I wonder if its me screwing 1 out of 3 shots up.
    I have the same results 2 in inch and 1 a good bit away with 24 gr 24.4 and 24.6 gr loads all at .25 from lands, two cases types and one type new.24 gr up works - 23.6 is just a no where load.
    Dales theory of different jumps is definitely a factor - tested that by measurements, so will try bigger jump to decrease affect of bullet ogive length differences ( even if the factor out is only .6/.12).
    Will report back - thanks for patient help guys.

User

Dave.

Please read post number 11 again.
    Secondly try other known good quality bullets.
    Thirdly, give us your exact details so we can assist you with Quickload.

User

Do you have a comparitor set ?

Banned

Post number 11 was a great help in putting me back in sequence again, I had started to work on assumptions from previous results and repeat same same hoping for different out come.
    Will buy new batteries for Chrony and try get to range, range time with this kind of problem is getting difficult due to hunting season immanence.
    I am now banking on the lengthening of jump to have rifle ready before the range becomes a testing occurrence.I can then play and research cause affect after hunting season.
    Will get details to you shortly -

Banned

Barrel bolt to crown 47 cm like exactly.
    Case capacity for lapua 33.8 gr
    case trimmed to 44.72
    Col 57.31
    Comparitor length 49.78
    bullet length 21.23 ( strangely I found one now 20.93, tip damage I think)
    velocity at 24 gr = 2785 fps at about 4 m

I hope I have this correct, I usually make some glaring error when in public eye.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast