Banned

Default Proper scope mounts - please help?

Can someone please point me to a web site or article on proper scope mounting?

I want to put a new scope on my Sako but the machined dove tails on the rifle differ. The front measures 17mm across and the back 12mm.

My current set-up is ancient and probably of lower quality.

How do I go ahead to do a proper scout mount? What do I need?

User

Default Re: Proper scope mounts - please help?

Banned

Thank you!

Jaap,

do you have the mounts?

Cheers
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post

I want to put a new scope on my Sako but the machined dove tails on the rifle differ. The front measures 17mm across and the back 12mm.
    Sako used a tapered dovetail setup. Nothing wrong with it, just different. You need dedicated bases or rings. Original Sako rings are good. Lynx also made suitable bases. EAW possibly too, but they were pricey from the start.

Ancient is good, as long as they are steel. Don't use aluminium bases or rings.

Are you sure you want a "scout" mount? That is a system that mounts the scope forward, on the barrel, with the ocular lens close to the front action ring. It is possible, but will take a custom base and some gunsmithing. Not sure that's what you want though... Maybe the autocarrot?

My book about scope mounting is the most detailed of its kind ever written. Possibly the only one. I fitted a lot of scopes professionally. My book is about the problems I encountered and how I solved them. Complete details of how to lap rings and why. E mail me at boothroyd@polka.co.za and we can discuss it.

Jaap talk to us.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Banned

Folks, sometimes a dominee has work to do. That is except for the little talking job on Sundays

I have unsuccessfully been trying to upload photos from my phone. Andrew, I'll send you a few photos.

The basic setup is an aluminium base (mount?) which was hammered tightly over the dovetails machined into the rifle. Even with screw removed it won't budge. The upper part of this base looks like a tactical picatinny rail. The bases of the scope rings fit over the mentioned aluminium base and tighten with a side screw. These ring bases also form the lower part of the scope rings.

The upper of the scope ring consist of a bent steel plate which are held in place with four screws. Everything is aluminium except for these top covers and the screws.

User

Folks, sometimes a dominee has work to do. That is except for the little talking job on Sundays

I have unsuccessfully been trying to upload photos from my phone. Andrew, I'll send you a few photos.

The basic setup is an aluminium base (mount?) which was hammered tightly over the dovetails machined into the rifle. Even with screw removed it won't budge. The upper part of this base looks like a tactical picatinny rail. The bases of the scope rings fit over the mentioned aluminium base and tighten with a side screw. These ring bases also form the lower part of the scope rings.

The upper of the scope ring consist of a bent steel plate which are held in place with four screws. Everything is aluminium except for these top covers and the screws.
    Sounds like the old Weaver rings and bases. Find some steel rings (and bases if needed) and replace.

You can thank me later.

User

Doesn't Warne make the steel Maxima rings for Sako?