User

Default Help with value of rifle

i went to have a look at this rifle today and have never seen such a rifle before. I took some pics but would like to know if someone here could perhaps give a value of this rifle? I want to purchase it and was given a price but would just like to know if the asking price is reasonably in line with the detail of the rifle. I have the following details:

Haenel 8x57mm but its now a 8-06
    27" barrel
    Mannlicher action
    Set trigger
    Weaver 4x38 scope

Asking price is R15000
    Is this in line with this type of rifle?
    Will I be paying to much or am I scoring a bargain seeing that this rifle seems like something that could perhaps have collectable value?

Some photos:

User

Default Re: Help with value of rifle

It's a good quality German manufactured rifle, however the fact that it has been re-chambered to 8mm-06, has in my opinion devalued any collectors value it may have had.
    The scope also does not have any real value so you cant really add that into the price.
    8mm-06 is a really nice caliber though.

User

The fact that it has been drilled, tapped and a scope attached destroyed a lot of the collect able value. Bring the calibre change to that and I would say its not a collecters item.
    Find out where you can find 8-06 dies and if it was a 8×57 JS or not prior to conversion.
    In my opinion R5000 or less would a fair price.

Banned

I would also say that no matter what it was, it is now a 5 to 7 k rifle. One I would certainly like for self.
    Scope is worth R400 - or drop in at my place and you can have one.

User

I don't see an awful lot on the web about this rifle's collectibility. I see Haenel's going from around $500 to around $1500.....which is about what the seller is asking at R15,000.

It's a pretty rifle but I'm not sure this is all that wicked a buy, unless you have money to burn. I'd say you will likely be trying to sell it for a similar price in years to come. But that's just me and I am no expert on collectible rifles by any stretch. Just trying to be realistic here.

What does the owner have to say about why he feels the amount is reasonable? Can he show you similar rifles fetching similar prices?

It all depends what the rifle means to you. If you just love the rifle and have to have it....well, alrighty then. Whatever you do if you do buy it, do not do anything to it as far as altering the stock or metal finish. Oil it, lightly clean and polish the wood with a suitable and safe polish and put it away. Find out what polish's are bad...like lemon oil, Howards Feed 'n Wax etc. Obviously do not use them. If buying as a collector, I might not even shoot it. (Since you have some cartridges in the stock there-tempting!) Oh, okay then.... just one!

Weaver is a cheap optic. I'd remove the optic and see if I could find some filler screws for the holes that would go perfectly flush with the receiver.....let them rust a bit and put them in. That optic and mount "cheapens" the look of the rifle.

Bottom line I would try to get the guy down in price.

User

Not a collectible rifle at all anymore. The moment the receiver was modified to attach the scope destroyed an real collector's value, coupled with the change in caliber.
    If you still want it, go for it but don't buy it for an investment firearm.
    If you just want a decent hunting rifle, look elsewhere.

As per above posts. The work done on it devalues it. And destroys it collect ability value.

The stock is interesting. Seems it works like the older BP rifles. With a wedge holding it on.

I would say R5000-max if you really want R7000.

But for this you could rather buy something newer that you can shoot.

User

15k is way too much for that rifle!