User

Default Inherited/passed down guns licence app

Hi All,

Flakmunki the noob here! intro here...

Have a few questions i hope can be answered here. I have searched the forum for similar posts with no definitive answer.

Background:
    My dad wants to give his guns to me as he no longer uses them and i've wanted to take them over for a while now as i am now a responsible grown up etc and i feel bad for them as they are just lying in his safe wasting away.

I have just got my competency cert for handgun and rifle. picked up from douglasdale last week.

He has a CZ75 9mm para, a PPK 7,6mm and a winchester 30.06.

So, my questions as follows...

- what are your thoughts on applying for licences for all 3 at the same time? ppk for SD, CZ for occasional sport and the rifle for occasional hunting?
    - Does it make any difference whatsoever that i am "inheriting" these guns as opposed to buying from a dealer as my dad is still alive and kicking?
    - Would i need to show proof of membership for a defensive pistol club, a sports shooting club and a hunting affiliation to help my cause?
    - is there one club membership that would aid my SD and sports shooting needs? (i am not a member of any club atm)
    - Who could offer professional advice and assist with this licence app/inheritance in exchange for money or beers?

Any input greatly appreciated.

Flak

User

Default Re: Inherited/passed down guns licence app

My take:

1 - There's no reason you shouldn't apply for all at the same time. Your choices as to category seem fine although the PPK, well, let's just say there are better tools for SD.

2 - No difference at all. You still have to motivate the need for each firearm. Your dad simply signs on the application form as the current owner.

3 - You wouldn't NEED to but it will probably help. That said, don't just join an organisation for having a piece of paper. Join because you want to participate.

4 - If all of your sporting needs are satisfied by handgun and the 30-06 will not be used for sport shooting as such, you can join either SADPA (for IDPA shooting) or SAPSA (for IPSC shooting). Participating will help you with general handgun handling skills but does not negate the need for spending time and money on good self defence training. Google videos of the two sporting codes above or visit a shoot to see what it is about. I know SADPA's website will give you contact details for clubs and you would need to join up via a club. Not sure about SAPSA. SADPA Northern Nationals is hosted in Centurion 17 and 18 June, might be a good match to spectate, just remember to bring along eye and ear protection!

Depending on which club you join, there may be ranges or even competitions where you can practice or use the 30-06.

5 - Professional assistance is usually only rendered in exchange for money, not beer. That's the meaning of "professional"

Seriously though, there's no need to use a professional. There's been rumours that SAPS actually takes a dim view of the applications being done by certain service providers as they are copy/paste versions not really speaking to the individual shooter's needs. Also, there's no reason to spend money on this. Get a template from someone or scratch around in the section with motivation ideas and write your own motivation.

User

As Tetelestai said.

Going the extra mile on the allocations doesn't hurt. However the more you put in, the more the CFR starts to unreasonably demand it for further apps.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Joining NHSA helps. I joined and got Dedicated Sport Shooter and Dedicated Hunter status.

For me the magic number of typed pages in my motivation is around 7. Starts with who i am, then my history with firearms, then purpose for this application, followed by why this FA above others in its class. You can make it a lot longer, but some poor bugger needs to read it.

This is followed with a lot of certificates, activity schedule and endorsement all courtesy of NHSA.

User

Thanks for the advice! Definately helped!

I will let you know how the app goes