Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Help with deciding on a rifle for hunting

My 2 cents is any of the CZs or Winchesters are perfect just preferences. On the Winchester, the barrel, receiver etc are all the same AFAIK only the wood quality and finishes differ (Supergrade, Sporter, Featherweight). The Supergrade is superb but naturally more pricey for "aesthetics" vs the Sporter. I really love the the Featherweight though. The stock is drops slightly more at the heel and has Schnabel forend but it seemed to fit me better than the other 2.

I haven't seen the CZ557 action so cannot comment on it but the CZ550 are really nice, solid rifles. Weight wise this is in between M70 featherweight and Supergrade.

I maybe off here but I understood Bavarian stocks as better for open sights but not as good as straight for scopes - maybe someone else can chip in here?

A Leupold VX2 3-9 x 40mm is roughly R6k excluding rings and bases so include that plus rifle bag, safe, cleaning equipment.

Calibre choice is very versatile so no comment there.

Lastly you can look at second hand as there are some great rifles at good prices around if you're prepared to weight - ultimately this is what I did.

Good luck its a great place to be in as so many choices!

Jeez I see a couple of post were made so I have duplicated at bit, my apologies.

User

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...st-me-in-Total

This will give you an idea of basics. Some things still missing, but a good start.

Wildman I believe had awhile back a special on limited amount of Musgrave if im not mistaken.
    Was also wood stocks.

User

Hello All,

Thank you very much for all the great advice so far.

The guys that are pushing Howa, why would you choose Howa over the CZ? Which Howa would you suggest? Also where would you get a custom stock made?

Scully, I did consider the Tikka, reason I didn't make my list was due to the plastic/composite trigger guard and magazine. For me, plastic just doesn't seem right on a rifle. Also just my preference, I have heard the Tikka is an unbelievable gun. With regard to the scope, I have been given suggestions by multiple people on the Leopold. What is the difference between the VX1 and VX2?

Also would anyone recommend the Nikon Monarch Scope, I see it compared often to the Leopold XV3?

Thanks.

User

Pre 64, thanks for the great advice, I will steer clear of the CZ557 then.

Thanks for advice on accessories.

User

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGregory View Post
    My 2 cents is any of the CZs or Winchesters are perfect just preferences. On the Winchester, the barrel, receiver etc are all the same AFAIK only the wood quality and finishes differ (Supergrade, Sporter, Featherweight). The Supergrade is superb but naturally more pricey for "aesthetics" vs the Sporter. I really love the the Featherweight though. The stock is drops slightly more at the heel and has Schnabel forend but it seemed to fit me better than the other 2.

I haven't seen the CZ557 action so cannot comment on it but the CZ550 are really nice, solid rifles. Weight wise this is in between M70 featherweight and Supergrade.

I maybe off here but I understood Bavarian stocks as better for open sights but not as good as straight for scopes - maybe someone else can chip in here?

A Leupold VX2 3-9 x 40mm is roughly R6k excluding rings and bases so include that plus rifle bag, safe, cleaning equipment.

Calibre choice is very versatile so no comment there.

Lastly you can look at second hand as there are some great rifles at good prices around if you're prepared to weight - ultimately this is what I did.

Good luck its a great place to be in as so many choices!
    Hi David,

Thanks a stack for your comment, I appreciate all the advice.

I heard the same thing on the bavarian stock.

Does the Winchester Feather weight come with a wooden stock?

The Super grade I did consider but then when I considered the price of scope, safe and and and, it just gets too expensive. Also, someone mentioned to me that if you are going to spend that on a super grade, why not get the Sako 85 Hunter.

User

Purds....CZ makes good stuff.Just seems they they have dropped the ball so to speak with the 557 line.

When it comes to "pushing" a Howa rifle,the reason is simple.They are darn good as far as accuracy,triggers,finish smoothness of operation,choice ect are concerned.They are the Hilux of rifles.There is no other rifle on offer at a comparable price which is as good.

On the scope side of things,it gets a bit trickier but you cannot go wrong with a Leopold.

There are a number of excellent stock builders in the country.I am not sure where you are from but it is allways nice to use someone close to you and watch how a piece of wood is transformed into a "living" stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Purds View Post
    Hi David,

Does the Winchester Feather weight come with a wooden stock?

The Super grade I did consider but then when I considered the price of scope, safe and and and, it just gets too expensive. Also, someone mentioned to me that if you are going to spend that on a super grade, why not get the Sako 85 Hunter.
    Yes the featherweight does: http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...herweight.html

At the Supergrade prices there are then a number of other options as you mention but it becomes that much more costly.

Not sure where you are based but if in Alan Henry from Durban Natal Gun Company makes customised rifles / stocks etc. Superb work!

Banned

I see a lot is being made of the Bergara rifles. Another European contender is the Sabatti.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast