Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Help with deciding on a rifle for hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Scully View Post
    Tikka T3

If you shop around +/- .....13 - 14k for the 308
    Add a Leupold VX2 3-9x40 or 4-12x40 +/- 6k

Thats a total of 20k and you have a fine looking rifle
    I'm biased because I have a T3 of my own, so I can +1 this.
    Although when I shoot with my friend's Howa there isn't all that much of a difference in look and feel.
    My T3 is also quite capable of punching out a 0.25MOA at 200m, which I am very happy with.

That said, don't disregard the Howa at all.

User

On the Leupolds the differences between the VX1 & VX2 is the light transmission from 92% to 94%, marginally bigger MOA adjustment range and the MOA adjustment turrets differ with the VX2 being finger adjustable and VX1 requiring a coin if I remember correctly.

In full sun light no noticable difference but in lower light conditions, there is - how often is this relevant I am not sure. The price difference I think was R1k so I thought it was worth it.

The VX3 is quite a jump up again but I couldn't justify it.

User

An underdog to consider is the Sabatti Rover. Damn awesome guns. Fit and finish is amazing and for 12K with a walnut stock is unbeatable when it comes to value for your buck.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    .At the CZ road show there were 3 available to shoot and while accurate,the failures to feed and eject had me worried
    I struggled with the CZ 557 at the roadshow as well. I just couldn't get it to feed a new round and eject the spent case either. I also don't like the idea of a light weight synthetic stock they fitted to these rifles. The stock feels very nice, but the rifle kicks.

User

I have a CZ550 lux in the .308. Nice looking rifle and much more accurate than I will ever be. I was in your position a few years ago. The decision was not wrong, but ...

If I have to do it again, I would buy a .375 H&H. But then, I reload, so that would make sense. I hunt mostly in the Karoo and would have liked a lighter rifle and a heavier rifle. I just wished someone had told me one rifle "is never enough".

User

What about that BRNO you were asking about earlier (or wasn't it this thread's OP?? it wad a long day...) It ticks all your boxes, stock just needs replacing or refinishing?

User

Ok, let me throw my dog into the ring as well....

The Howa vs tikka T3... price mainly... You can get a CHEAP howa 308 (likely with the hogue stock) for about R9k, then get a stock of your choice made for about R4k or R5k... and you're still below the price of the T3 with factory stock... as for quality/accuracy I really do not believe there is much, if anything between the 2...

Scopes... Leupoldt vx1 vs vx2 couple grand difference.. VX2 slightly better lens coatings, and better turrets, otherwise identical. unless you plan on fiddling with the scope a lot, or plan on shooting in late afternoon (dusk) I will save the R2k on VX1 and get scope rings/bases... I have used both VX1 and VX2 and personally feed there is little optically different, for average users. yes someone out there will tell you there is more differene... I have not been able to see it.... I currently use a VX1 4-12x40 scope on my 338wm

Then, leupoldt vs Nikon... here I would compare the Nikon monarch 3 with the VX2. Very little between them... prices are similar, glass and coating similar. for me, the nikon had slightly better low light clarity. I own a Monarch 3 4-16x42 filled on top of my 6.5x55. Very nice, clear scope, good audible clik adjustments on the turrets, and a very easy zero adjust.

Now, ironically a few people have shot both my rifles, back to back, and 3 out of 4 has chosen the Leupoldt VX1 4-12x40 over the Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x42... My Nikon has mil-dot reticle, and the VX1 has the duplex reticle... I think the duplex reticle is easier to understand than the mil-dot, and that does add to the peolpe's opinion...

If I had to do it over, I do not think I would have chosen different...

Oh, and both my rifles are Howa... I have grown a fond respect for these rifles. They shoot FAR, FAR better than what their budget price would suggest!

User

Nikon's BDC reticle is IMO the worst reticle ever. I hated those big dots. Saying that though, each person needs to go themselves to compare scopes, what's good for one guy's eye might not be good for anothers.

User

Hi All,

Thanks again for all the great advice, it seems I can't ignore the option of getting a Howa with custom stock. I will do some research.

Can anyone suggest good stock makers in and around JHB?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Purds View Post
    Hi All,

Thanks again for all the great advice, it seems I can't ignore the option of getting a Howa with custom stock. I will do some research.

Can anyone suggest good stock makers in and around JHB?
    you can also buy the Howa with a walnut stick straight from the factory, not sure if that was mentioned before in this thread.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast