User

Default Magnetospeed in checked luggage

Hi Gents,

My friend in the states has offered to buy me a magnetospeed chronograph. Is it legal for him to fly out of the country with it to Qatar, give it to me and I fly into SA with it.

I know I should be doing my own homework, but don't have time to go through the regulations.

Thanks guys!

Default Re: Magnetospeed in checked luggage

I can only tell you the following.
    When I phone Hornady Importers.
    The once in Cape Town area.
    I was told that they are currently not bringing in any electronic shooting stuff from states. As apparently customs has an issue with it. The want according to them. Detailed specs and drawings of machines. And the inspection per machine makes it apparently ridiculous to bring it in and sell.

So Im not sure really can only tell you what Ive heard from them.

On the other hand they also import Chrony machines. And they have them. SO not sure how they then come in.

User

Thanks For the feedback Shooty. so I quickly did a test check out on the item from cabelas. In the past if the item is regulated, in that it cannot be shipped to RSA, your order cannot be checked out. Don't know if that puts me in the clear, I'll wait and see if anyone else has some more advice.

Give Guns n Bows a call. Speak to Mark.
    On the other hand the importers of Lyman tumblers and sonic cleaners. Does not seem to have an issue. As they are available everywhere. And surely they also come via USA.

I struggled for just under 2 years to get a Case Feeder for my Hornady LNL. Due to an issue witht he previous large Hornady importer. On every order it did not come.
    Eventually they stopped Hornady. As Inyathi/SO took over. And within in a month it arrived. Hornady even sent me a free Range Bag for the wait.

A friend of mine just brought in a Lyttleton Shot maker. It does not have alot of electronics in as its just got an element. But it came through normal post from USA.

I would suggest contacting Cape Mail and Customs dept by them. By I struggled on the hour for 2.5 days to get one of them to pick up. To get a Customs heading number for a Rifle Chasis I ordered.

User

I brought mine in without any problems.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    I can only tell you the following.
    When I phone Hornady Importers.
    The once in Cape Town area.
    I was told that they are currently not bringing in any electronic shooting stuff from states. As apparently customs has an issue with it. The want according to them. Detailed specs and drawings of machines. And the inspection per machine makes it apparently ridiculous to bring it in and sell.

So Im not sure really can only tell you what Ive heard from them.

On the other hand they also import Chrony machines. And they have them. SO not sure how they then come in.
    No a problem if you are flying with it and bringing only one.

User

AFAIK the import tax on electronic measuring equipment is 0%. Might be good to know. If mailed here, you might still have to pay a customs handling fee and VAT. Unlikely if brought in in your bagage.

User

Ok guys. Thanks for all the answers. Let's see how it pans out.