Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Default bullet velocity when hand gun hunting

I have a Lhama S/C44 Rem and I am sending 255 LSWC down barrel. My range day velocity readings with different test ammo have varied from 950 fps right up to 1300+. I have found that from about 1250 fps things change, the bark, the bite and the recoil, you can feel power and work - wear and tear.
    The one load I have is 20 gr S265 and it delivers 1070/90 fps - gently and almost every dayish, no show, big bang kinda thing.
    Now for the application of hunting including Kudu, how much does the 200 fps less make at my hunt shoot range of less than 50 m. Is a velocity of 1100 FPS enough or be low hand gun hunting success needs. What are your thoughts and reasoning.

User

Default Re: bullet velocity when hand gun hunting

.44 Mags are not for wimps
    In handgun hunting, or more accurately, revolver hunting, bullet velocity is not the answer.
    Bullet weight and frontal area are the important metrics.

Fun fact: The .45 Colt (aka LC) of 1873 vintage had the following design criteria: it had to penetrate through a horse to kill the Red Indian lying behind the horse! They did it with a 250gr LRN bullet @ 900fps. So a .44 255gr LSWC bullet @ 1000+ fps should have ample penetration on a Kudu, shot placement is vital as always.

User

User

Treeman...If you are happy and comfortable with your 255gr bullet at just under 1100fps,then use it.

The advantages of you being able to practice and to place a shot on an animal accurately,outweigh any advantage you may have with an extra 200 fps and a marginally placed shot.

Most of us that use 240-255gr bullets in our 44"s run them between 1250 and 1400 fps.All they do is make a caliber size hole through the animal and i am pretty sure you will have the same results at just under 1100fps.

I would feel comfortable using that load on kudu...just remember to stick within your skill level as far as accurate bullet placement is concerned.If that limits you to under 50m,so be it.

Banned

My main reason for asking is the gun - me ? well bring it on, more powder more fps yesiree !. I posted many a post regarding this whole hand gun thing and learnt a life times information by doing so, one thing that became clear is my gun is not a every day all day maximum load gun and I trust that advice. I can honestly feel the Lhama getting hurt at 22 gr 265 - the grips come loose after 12 shots for instance. So shooting the weapon broken is a consideration in the load I am going to settle on, I do not want a load that shoots one place practice and another that shoots elsewhere when hunting.

User

I would regard a 255 gn SWC at 1070 fps as marginal for hunting big animals like a mature kudu bull. But the kudu in the "istin cape" are much smaller, right?

Taking into consideration that I prefer to shoot my handgun-hunted animals at around 10m, the load might just work. (I have rifles for the longer shots.) Shot placement will still be critical.

For anything smaller than kudu, the load should be perfect.

Do some testing on game with your load, meaning properly analize every shot, and recover the bullet. that will quickly tell you wheither you need to change anything.

User

Sjoe A-R....You came so close to ruining the friendship there.We are very sensitive about our Kudu down here.

Strangely enough SCI and not Rowland Ward class the "isten cape" kudu as a sub species being smaller,yes,but also being far prettier,having more colour definition with yellow coloured legs like an nyala,as well as being far more intelligent than the dumb,pale,kudu up north.

Down here a 50 inch bull is really a magnificent animal.....BUT....as usual people just cannot flipping leave nature to itself and some "game farmers" have been bringing in big bodied bulls from up north to "improve" the genetics of our kudu.All they will achieve is to dilute the animals we have.

Sorry you got an earfull A-R and sorry for the hijack Treeman.....All still good i hope.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Sjoe A-R....You came so close to ruining the friendship there.We are very sensitive about our Kudu down here.

Strangely enough SCI and not Rowland Ward class the "isten cape" kudu as a sub species being smaller,yes,but also being far prettier,having more colour definition with yellow coloured legs like an nyala,as well as being far more intelligent than the dumb,pale,kudu up north. ...
    Bwahaha!

Banned

So it will be good for the little clever Kudu that allow 50 m shots here in the E/C or the big stupid kudu you get up north that allow you 10 m shots.

Looks like I will be doing the open sight thing now ? , scope is very broken.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    So it will be good for the little clever Kudu that allow 50 m shots here in the E/C or the big stupid kudu you get up north that allow you 10 m shots.

Looks like I will be doing the open sight thing now ? , scope is very broken.
    The kudu allow nothing. You have to work for it! They did not get that big by being dumb...

A 44 is generally hard on scopes, especially with hunting loads. I have not managed to damage my Leupold 2x LER scope yet, but TBH, I have probably shot less than 1000 shots with the scope on. I prefer open sights on a handgun, simply because the challenge is in getting close, rather than taking a (risky) long range shot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast