Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Scope Size. Longer Range

Have been using my trusty Lynx 6-24x42 now for years.

But decided to give my Remington 308VSSF a treat and upgrade it.

So ordered a nice Chasis for it. So thats sorted and on the way.

Now looking into the scope.
    Looking at Side focus and Nice turrets.

But my question.
    At the high magnification of scope.
    a 20X
    or a 30X

The 20x is 50mm and 30X goes to 56mm.
    56mm makes the scope huge. So im steering towards 50mm

For the long shooters.
    Will 20X be enough.

My trusty 6-24 I can easily see the hits on gongs at 500 at our range.

But 30x seems nice. and 20x i have small psychological hicjup thinking its 4x less then my current one.

Then again the 20x has got much better glass. So that alone is improvement on current one.

Yip. I might be overthinking.

User

Default Re: Scope Size. Longer Range

10x is more than enough for 308 range...
    Rather look at getting a FFP with good zero stop & clear glass.

My 2c

PS. I would look at this as an option:
    http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...eticle/reticle

Clear glass is first on list.
    Other one is I dont like the center to be a dot.
    Rather cross. As I have become accustomed to when trying to shoot nicer groups. Aligning one of target blocks with the cross hairs corner.

User

http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/sub_vpr-pst_3-15x44_ebr-2c_mrad_web.jpg

This scope is FFP, so when zoomed in you'll see it actually has a 0.095mil open center if you want to shoot something very small & cross does not "cover everything".

Burris XTR ii is getting good reviews as well.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/x...cope-3-15x50mm

User

The quality of the image is way more important than the magnification. For that reason alone, I would not go over 20 - 24 max magnification. Except under ideal conditions, all that much magnification is seldom useable in the field. Things like mirage tend to get magnified more than the target.

So, I would prefer a 16x scope with good glass over a 30x with average glass.

Your old Lynx is not even half bad. There are newer, better features like FFP compensating recticles and mil-mil recticle and turret combinatons available now, but at a price.

Whatever you choose, make sure there is decent after-sales service available for the scope. For that reason alone, I would not buy a Burris. Lynx, Leupold, Vortex (and a few more expensive makes) have proven local service track records.

A-R. Due to the great service I so far had from Lynx SA. I am in a way more towards buying a lynx again.

I am considering their LX2 5-20x 50 Tactical.
    They could have left out the illuminated part.
    As they have on the Hunter model. But then the Hunter does not have The larger turrets.
    They said they can add those Turrets onto hunter. But the charge mike make it the same as just taking the Tactical from start.

I briefly considered Hawke. As I have had great success with them on my PCP's and 22lr. But dont see enough or any on the ranges. Have a Vortex on my 22H. Which is also brilliant scope.

User

LX2 looks like a solid scope, but if you intend on shooting long range you'll need open turrets.
    I am a huge MILRAD fan and don't see myself ever buying a roman catholic scope if there are Mil scope options.
    The FFP is only applicable if you shoot holdovers on various magnification so that is up to you.
    Lack of Zero stop is linked to dialing turrets, so if you don't dial, zerostop is not needed.

That said, if you want to shoot long range (more than a lucky guess once every 5 years) you'll either need to dial in, or shoot holdover.
    If dialing, get a scope that has sensible turrets with crisp positive clicks. A decent indication for second rotation and zero stops for returning to zero.
    If electing holdovers, get a good retickle that can accommodate for drop as well as wind. FFP would be a must here, as you can't always shoot on max magnification and on a SFP, you are guessing when lower magnification & shooting holdovers.

Once again, these are my opinions.

Rgds,
    SvN

Believe me Im taking notes Stefan.
    Currently not in to a high rush.
    As I have about another 3-4 weeks wait on my my new Chasis permit.
    So with all this info I will be in this time be able to make a much better selection in scopes.
    The LX2 ive eyed has got open turrets on the Tactical model. Its got a pretty nice Reticle inside. But is SFP.

Ive online looked at some Rudolphs as someone mention it to me in shop.
    Looks like they have FFP. But so far have no experience with Rudolph. However if I listened correct its a South African Company.

If you're getting into long range gongs, FFP is the way to.
    It takes less than 5 mins for a SFP shooter to start cursing when shooting multiple gong targets at different distances in wind.
    1. they can't find the targets, cause they're zoomed in too far.
    2. they can't hold wind, cause they've now zoomed out and the reticle stadia no longer mean jack.

Get FFP, never go back...

New Athlon FFP options on the SA market:
    http://optimaxdistributors.co.za/athlone/rifle-scopes
    http://athlonoptics.com/
    FFP models to look at:
    Argos BTR 6-24
    Helos BTR 6-24
    Ares BTR 4.5-27
    Apparently the Argos is in stock in SA, and the Helos and Ares are incoming soon.

Other options:
    Vortex Viper PST Gen I 6-24
    Vortex Viper PST Gen II 6-24 - coming to SA soon
    Bushnell LRS 6-24
    Bushnell ERS 3.5-21
    Bushnell HDMR II 3.5-21
    Rudolph Tactical T1 6-24
    Burris XTRii 5-25 - if AOSports ever gets its head out of it's ass

From the above you should be getting an idea on the magnification range that works.
    btw: I shoot at 1,1km at 16x

The final choice comes down to reticle, zero-stop, turrets and glass.

If on the other hand you're shooting paper at long range... then just get a SFP scope with good glass.

FFP is not be and end all.

Sent from my PSP5508DUO using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast