Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Male Rottie

User

Default Male Rottie

Hi Guys,

hope im posting in the right section if not please delete.

I have a male rottie one year old.
    Both parents are rottweilers
    this little guy is terrorizing my kids. Not biting but jumping and chasing them. This morning he gripped the wife and she has had enough of him
    so im forced to do the thing i dont want to do

If anyone is interested please PM me.
    Thanks

Default Re: Male Rottie

Have you trained the dog?

If so, what training have you done?

User

Some basic obedience classes could allow the family pet to stay... Just saying.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

User

no professional training guys, besides the walk, sit, here's a biscuit for being a good boy

User

The thing with Rottweilers is they are highly intelligent and very energetic, especially when still young. They are also very social. This will cause him to play with you at every opportunity, untill he is tired. Getting him tired will take a while...

If the dog is left alone for most of the day, while everybody is away working or at school, he will get bored and frustrated, and have extra stored energy when you return home.

Add to that that Rottweilers, and especialy the males, are quite dominant. It takes a lot of proper training and handling to control them. Unlike some smaller breeds that you can just feed and pat occasionally.

My point is, a Rottweiler needs an owner that understands his needs and can handle him properly, and channel his energy and intelligence in the right direction. If you don't know how to do this, or don't have the time needed to spend with him, you should not own a Rottweiler.

If not handled properly, he will become a dangerous nuisance.

If handled properly, you have a very loyal and protective family member.

May I suggest that you contact someone who knows and works with Rottweilers to find out what your options are.

User

Not sure where you're based but perhaps talk to the vets at Bryanston Vet Clinic.

http://www.vetdirectory.co.za/public...linic/0/0/1636

User

Location,location,location?

User

Thanks Guys.

User

Hi..please rember that the dog is still a pup. The above breed is a working dog and generally has a lot of energy.It usually helps when a dog's handler works with the dog in terms of burning up the dog's energy. This could include taking him for a walk , playing with a ball etc. The about should result in you having a much calmer dog. Very important, remember with a breed such as the about ,training an guidance is essential. He needs to know who is the pack leader is. Train him you can do this ur self. Use treats and reward him when he does what you want. Also if he is doing something you dislike, redirect his energy to something else. Lastly remember he is still a pup an usually you will start seeing a change of behaviour at 24 mounts when he is fully matured, that is if you continue working with him consistently. Remember no dog can be the perfect pet without consistent effort. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nivash View Post
    no professional training guys, besides the walk, sit, here's a biscuit for being a good boy
    So you buy what is supposed to be a working breed, don't train it, then wonder why its running your house?

All dogs take work and effort. Some more than others. If you aren't prepared to do the work, don't get the dog.

As a matter of interest, what was your wife doing when he "gripped" her?
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast