Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: This whole "lowballing" thing

The flipside is that some people will advertise at a price higher than they want to allow some wiggle room for haggling, knowing someone will likely come in with a low offer. As has been said, don't take it personally, and don't feel bad to say No thanks

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    If you want me to buy from you, best you don't mark it as non-negotiable. If I can't negotiate, I'll buy elsewhere.
    Hahaha now this is a fantastic attitude! I think you missed the point - if it's marked as non-negotiable then it wouldn't be targeted like someone like you in the first place, now would it?

User

Yes, but what is wriggle room? That I guy will offer someone 30% less? Or will he price it slightly higher knowing it will come down a bit? No one said don't negotiate. Just don't be a tool and offer a ludicrously low amount?

User

Oh I totally agree! I'm not one for haggling at all. If i see something I want that has that worth to me, I happily pay. Like the awesome rifle safe I bought from you ;)

User

I am always inclined to haggle a bit, after all, I want the best price I can get.

As an example:
    I had the great idea that I NEEDED a Bell and Carlson stock for my rifle. As luck would have it, a seller had exactly what I was looking for. I contacted him, asked him what his best price was and in his words, what he was asking, not a cent less. Now I could either say he was being unreasonable or I could accept his price. I chose the latter.

After fitting said stock I had a Remington VLS Laminated stock to sell to try recoup some of the costs. I knew people liked to haggle so I loaded the price a little, giving me some wiggle room. When someone made an offer on the stock, I was able to offer some of the wiggle room and wouldn't you know it, two happy chappies!

My take on it is this, everyone has a tight budget, everyone wants a good deal. If you pay above market, you may get it sooner, but don't cry when you see the same wonder nine selling for a car down payment less than what you paid at some later stage CZ*cough*Shadow2*Cough*. I have never sold anything without someone wanting to sweeten the deal, I have said no, and I have said yes, but that was my prerogative and my choice.

User

Yea there's also the oke who asks too much, I sometimes send them friendly sms's just to help them a bit so they do not have to start thinking no -one wants it but especially because I am scared that some people are so out of touch with their weapon's price that they might get frustrated and hand them in.
    My worst opposition in this regard is gunshops, they are the go to place for people with no info and once the shop says it's worth this or that many a seller will get rude if you try to help, regardless of your intent to buy or just do a good thing.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    I have also received lowball offers for goods for sale.

I don't see why you as the seller should get irate about an offer. If you don't like the offer, simply decline. Why take so much offense? He just offered you a low amount, he didn't swear at your mother. When did negotiation become so insulting?

I, as a buyer, couldn't care a fuck what you as the seller may think of me.

If you want me to buy from you, best you don't mark it as non-negotiable. If I can't negotiate, I'll buy elsewhere.

Unfortunately(or fortunately), times being what they are, it is a buyer's market.

Good luck with whatever you are selling.
    Seriously? You may just be taking food out of someone's mouth for all you know. If the price is fair, just fucking pay it and be done with it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    Seriously? You may just be taking food out of someone's mouth for all you know. If the price is fair, just fucking pay it and be done with it.
    I never knew that as a seller, you were forced to accept the first offer you got?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    Look, he has all my sympathies if that is the case. I guess we all have problems.

When I buy something, I don't let the seller's motivation for selling influence my value for money judgement. If I buy privately, I want a bargain. Otherwise I would just go pay the distributors price and have the benefit of a warranty and after-sales support.

But I agree, it should be fair to both the buyer and seller.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    I never knew that as a seller, you were forced to accept the first offer you got?
    I'm not saying that. But if the price is fair, then pay the man what he's due.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast