Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Planning Zebra Hunt.

When I shot my zebra a few years ago I had teh meat turned into biltong , dry wors, mince , cheese grillers and normal wors. I had nearly 200kg's of meat.

Let me tell you this, you can only eat that much painted donkey until you just cannot anymore. I should either have sold it or given it to a charity. Look at the cost of the working of the meat and include that into your planning. Keep some of it but not all in my opinion.

On top of that look at the cost of tanning the skin.

The cheese grillers were the best.

Next time I shoot one I will just give the meat away to a charity - check in your vicinity if they would be interested.

Good luck on your hunt.

User

I took a mate of mine hunting and he shot a zebra 4 weeks ago near Graaff-Reinet. Sold the meat at R12 per kg to a local butcher....cost him R1500 to get the skin done. Perhaps you will get similar pricing in your neck of the woods.

I sold a zebra to Wildshoekie in Centurion in May. R12/kg.

http://www.wildshoekievleismark.co.za/wmenu.php

I have heard that zebra meat makes for awesome salamis from a friend down here. He is in the game and its one of his most popular products apparently.

Never tried it myself though.

User

I have hunter a fair number of zebra's. As biltong, it was not really the best around, even droewors didnt go down very well for me. But, processed meats were awesome. I have had various butchers do russians, cheese russians, cheese grillers, cabanossi's, and salami's for me, and have always been good. As DJ Vier mentions, a big zebra carcass can lead to A LOT of meat when processes with pork etc added. It can also be quite costly, on a 180kg carcass. So keep that in mind, of budget doesnt allow, shop around and sell the carcass. I usually sell off some of the russians etc to friends and family, saves on freezer space, and can help cover total costs involvee ! Hope this helps !

User

would zebra processed meats taste better because...... well we probably all been eating horse/donkey cheese grillers/russians our whole lives anyways :)

User

Ask the farmer if he will give the meat to the local community. He will most probably know a butcher that will take it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2