Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: 300BLK or 308 for next AR

if you're going getting a dedicated major div gun, what are the advantages of 300BLK over 308WIN ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    It does, nominally depending on the load, in IDPA. I have no idea if it does in IPSC. As I understand it 7.62x39mm doesn't (generally) and the .300Blk is a similar PF.
    I wasn't aware of a PF in IDPA DMG? In any case it wouldn't be a go to gun in terms of DMG that would still lie with my 5.56 AR. I would how ever use it as a "fun" gun if it's not a big event ( not that most IDPA DMG matches are ever big events).

In terms of DMG Rules, I believe that they would both fall under major. I don't shoot IPSC so it's not a concern, and once again if I did eventually head that way I would more than likely run the 5.56.

I was thinking about it last night and I must say after looking about I am leaning to a short barrel 300blk in the AR platform, and maybe at a later stage a G3 or bolt gun in 308. I know the cost of the 30blk gun would be slightly cheaper than the 308 AR, which would get the gun purchased quicker (cause we all want a new guns as quickly as we can get them...that sounds sketchy).

Still undecided though, the more I read the more I want both!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    if you're going getting a dedicated major div gun, what are the advantages of 300BLK over 308WIN ?
    IF one can get 300BLK to run reliably at major PF, you may have a bit less recoil (308 milsurp runs at just under 400PF). But if you're going to go to the trouble of (up)loading 300BLK to 320, you may just as well (down)load 308 to 320 (assuming he gun will run with it).

Bang for buck, I doubt you'll get the BLK to run as economically as a 308 on milsurp, so in the end the average guy that can shoot more will probably win more, and my money here would be on the average 308 shooter above the average BLK shooter.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Stevin View Post
    I wasn't aware of a PF in IDPA DMG? In any case it wouldn't be a go to gun in terms of DMG that would still lie with my 5.56 AR. I would how ever use it as a "fun" gun if it's not a big event ( not that most IDPA DMG matches are ever big events).

In terms of DMG Rules, I believe that they would both fall under major. I don't shoot IPSC so it's not a concern, and once again if I did eventually head that way I would more than likely run the 5.56.

I was thinking about it last night and I must say after looking about I am leaning to a short barrel 300blk in the AR platform, and maybe at a later stage a G3 or bolt gun in 308. I know the cost of the 30blk gun would be slightly cheaper than the 308 AR, which would get the gun purchased quicker (cause we all want a new guns as quickly as we can get them...that sounds sketchy).

Still undecided though, the more I read the more I want both!
    I shouldn't post at 1am. You are correct. The rules state the 7.62x35mm (.300Blk) and larger makes Major. It does not give a PF.

I conflated two points together in my post.

I meant to write, "it does in IDPA. I don't know about IPSC but it could depending on the load, the 7.62x39.. blah blah blah" I didn't realize I'd typed my post so.....incorrectly.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    I shouldn't post at 1am. You are correct. The rules state the 7.62x35mm (.300Blk) and larger makes Major. It does not give a PF.

I conflated two points together in my post.

I meant to write, "it does in IDPA. I don't know about IPSC but it could depending on the load, the 7.62x39.. blah blah blah" I didn't realize I'd typed my post so.....incorrectly.
    No worries, I though in the space of one thread I had learnt 2 new things (i.e Colt Barrel, and PF in DMG)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    If you could make it work You would have a smaller lighter gun that in IPSC would have greater capacity as well.

User

Based on my reloading experience with our local powders, you will be taing a rather serious pressure risk trying to load 300 Blackout to make 320 power factor.

The advantage of 300 Blackout over 308 from a sport shooting perspective will be lower recoil and a lighter platform. It will of course then depend on your chosen sporting discipline.

If IDPA DMG is you game, then it is a great option as there is lower recoil and you get to make Major division with a caliber meeting the miimum requirement.

If IPSC is your game, then you would most likely be better off with a 308 or something similar that more readily makes 320 factor without running higher pressures which in of itself is a risk, as well as more wear and tear on the firearm.

I love the 300 Blackout caliber and the versatility therof, but one must also look at your intended use and whether you are pushing it to the limit or operating it within the design parameters.

User

Are you guys doing your .300Blk Major sums on 16" barrels?

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    If you could make it work You would have a smaller lighter gun that in IPSC would have greater capacity as well.
    with the entire theoretical point behind 300BLK having like a 7.5-10" barrel, wouldnt the powder required put a massive strain on the entire upper? sure, you get "major factor". but at what cost to your rifle's lifespan?
    in my personal opinion it just sounds like a gimmick, for a platform that in my personal opinion was specifically designed for plugging badguys at close range. for "major factor" it's more like a proof of concept that it CAN be done, no matter the monetary / lifespan / schlepp cost.

what people appear to be forgetting... is that the 308AR platform is designed so robustly for a reason: to handle the higher pressures and strains.
    now, if you take a gun designed for a minor factor, and push it into those major pressures/factor..... what exactly do people think is going to happen, that physics is magically going to disappear? 308WIN pressures in a 223 upper? I hope they're wearing kevlar, everywhere

User

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Based on my reloading experience with our local powders, you will be taing a rather serious pressure risk trying to load 300 Blackout to make 320 power factor.

The advantage of 300 Blackout over 308 from a sport shooting perspective will be lower recoil and a lighter platform. It will of course then depend on your chosen sporting discipline.

If IDPA DMG is you game, then it is a great option as there is lower recoil and you get to make Major division with a caliber meeting the miimum requirement.

If IPSC is your game, then you would most likely be better off with a 308 or something similar that more readily makes 320 factor without running higher pressures which in of itself is a risk, as well as more wear and tear on the firearm.

I love the 300 Blackout caliber and the versatility therof, but one must also look at your intended use and whether you are pushing it to the limit or operating it within the design parameters.
    Thanks my "brother". Haha.

Basically it's your fault and Paul's that got me really interested in 300blk. Out of curiosity what is the sort of reloading cost per round in a 300blk currently? I wonder if the "slightly" lower rifle cost of a 300blk would be offset by a higher Ammo/reloading cost?

No matter which round I choose, the gun will always end up being backup/fun gun. Just because 5.56/223 is cheaper to run, which means more training time, making it the obvious first choice in the safe for DMG.

I think after all the comments here, and reading. I like the idea of a 300blk before a 308. My reasoning being if I got the 308 AR. I would want to take it out and try some longer range shooting which I think a better and more affordable option would be to rather look at a 6.5mm calibre bolt gun, which I could possibly use to hunt if I ever decide to take up that side of the gun world.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast