Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Dangerous Game Hunting course at African Wildlife College -Buffalo : Part 1 Pract

Here is a video that shows you need to be able to shoot a rifle and handle it`s recoil as well..this is why I use a 404 Jeffery, it does not have a heavy recoil and carries well in the bush.
    Here Jacques is shooting a .505 Gibbs, Dr. Kevin `s trusted rifle when hunting dangerous game...few hunters will be able to shoot this rifle accurate...

Another important factor is the type of bullets you use. The preferred bullets used by the game rangers seemed to be Dzombo solids and North Fork core bonded bullets...as the preferred soft nose bullets.

User

Default Re: Dangerous Game Hunting course at African Wildlife College -Buffalo : Part 1 Pract

Shooting the dangerous game range :
    After every one`s rifle fitting and stance was sorted out we moved to the range where live size targets of buffalo awaited us. Dr. Kevin, Piet and Gawie accompanied every participant through the shooting range, explaining to everyone what needed to be done and how you need to approach this exercise.

Accuracy was of utmost importance when shooting at a dangerous game animal. Dr. Kevin mentioned the preferred distance to shoot a buffalo will be not further than thirty meters.

This is why he showed us how to approach buffalo when hunting them, as near as possible, v-express sights not further than 30 meters, telescope sight not further than 60 meters...if you can try to be nearer than 60 meters...
    Here are photos of participants shooting at the various targets...

Gert van der Merwe doing the shuffle:

More shuffling;

User

A good video where Piet Nel explain how you need to reload your rifle after shooting at a dangerous game animal ..you need to keep shooting ...

User

Day four: Receiving our certificates.

After we did the practical shooting we went looking for buffalo again, but unfortunately the herd cross over into another concession area..
    We gave Dr. Kevin, Pieter and Gawie a great brunch to show our appreciation for this course.

Eugene doing the scrambled egg exercise

And here is a group photo:

User

The last day: Receiving our certificates.
    Every one received certificates from Dr. Kevin
    Robertson:
    Ian received his certificate;

Jacques got his certificate:

Gert van der Merwe got his certificate;

Jacques (snr) getting his certificate as well;

Eugene was next :

The last one was the camera man...

User

This was the best course I ever attended . I really would urge anyone to attend this course. It really is a great experience. I already got together another group for the elephant course next year.
    Some photos :

User

Members , I hope you have enjoyed this thread..

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Members , I hope you have enjoyed this thread..
    Fantastic write up Gert

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

Thank you dsmerrills, yes I really enjoyed this course very much...The 404 Jeffery was without a flaw...it really shot extremely accurate and I managed to shoot two bullet holes about two centimeter apart on most of the targets. The .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer really got some attention..especially the smooth action and the rotary magazine concept..I did not use it during the course ...I did use the 404 Jeffery with it`s v-express sights and really did well shooting it accurately...

even during this weeks hunt I proved to be extremely accurate with the Leopold 1.5-5 x20 scope ...

User

I thoroughly enjoyed this write up. Informative for some one like me who knows very little about DG hunting. Very detailed write up, great pictures. Looks like an awesome experience. Thanks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast