Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Lubrication Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by tobie View Post
    There is some knowledgeable lube guys here...

Dont laugh.... But I have heard someone tell me once, which I cannot confirm, that FN FAL's / R1 rifles were lubed with Baby powder in very dusty conditions in the "Border War".

Will Baby powder provide any meaningfull benefit as a dry lube?
    I used it on both my Bren and R1. Though I had invented it. The caveat is that the working parts need a patina and in a damp environment rust will set in. Winter on the border and it was a cynch.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    I used it on both my Bren and R1. Though I had invented it. The caveat is that the working parts need a patina and in a damp environment rust will set in. Winter on the border and it was a cynch.
    Common "Johnsons" baby powder is basically Talcum powder. Some ladies also use it for face-painting purposes.

Some other baby powders (I think Elizabeth Anne's) are corn starch. (Dis nou mieliestronk vir die Boere.) Not sure if this will work as a gun lube.

User

Didn't the Russians use powdered sulpher on their PPSHs?

Yes, "flowers of sulphur". Apparently it is some form of dry film lubricant. Under certain conditions it reacts with the metal at a microscopic level to create some sort of oxide or something to that effect. I seem to recollect reading something about it being used in machine guns in certain conditions. I will have to look and see what I might be able to find on the subject.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Flowers of sulphur was originally added to the lubricating oil used in the MG 34 and MG 42. In fact, a special container for use in the field was developed by the Wehrmacht for containing the flowers of sulphur. The flowers of sulphur was sprinkled on the oiled parts to prevent the oil from thinning out or hardening on the surface of the metal and was, apparently, recommended and needed especially in extremely warm climates. My reference here is the Collectors Grade Book on the MG 34 and MG 42. See volume one on pages 377 and 422.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Powdered graphite and the correct metals in your gun can cause galvinic rusting. Is graphite in grease imune to that?

I would imagine so but I do not really know.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Flowers of sulphur was originally added to the lubricating oil used in the MG 34 and MG 42. In fact, a special container for use in the field was developed by the Wehrmacht for containing the flowers of sulphur. The flowers of sulphur was sprinkled on the oiled parts to prevent the oil from thinning out or hardening on the surface of the metal and was, apparently, recommended and needed especially in extremely warm climates. My reference here is the Collectors Grade Book on the MG 34 and MG 42. See volume one on pages 377 and 422.

Wow that is interesting! I can't quote my source but I believed it was used by the Russians in cold weather while the German guns froze up. Very interesting to hear the actual story is almost 180 degrees out from what I "knew".

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    I would imagine so but I do not really know.
    Probably has to do with the fact the parts and the graphite are not in direct contact but insulated by the carrier

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4