Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Ruger 10/22 Cycling issues

My secret to get reliability out of my 10/22 is the following:

Keep the chamber clean. This is important.
    Use only copper-plated HV ammo.
    Use only Ruger brand mags. The standard 10-shot works very well. The BX25 needs to be clean but works with HV ammo.
    Use a decent lube. Slip 2000 EWL works very well and keeps the rifle reliable for much longer than conventional lubes.

When shooting Subsonics, I only use the 10-shot mag.
    You can use wax-lubed ammo, but the wax builds up everywhere and starts binding up the action after about 50 shots. For most varmint hunting applications that's ok, but not if all your kids want to plink at the steel targets on the range...

Throw away all those "other" make mags. They cost more than the originals but perform very poorly.

User

Watch this video as well

Very interesting about the different size of the 10 rnd mags vs the 25rnd ones

User

Thanks. This just might be a solution.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

User

If you prepared to wait, you can get the VQ goodies from Brownells in about 6-8 weeks

User

The mag wobble didn’t cure anything on mine, and it is actually caused by the fit of the mag retention pin in the reciever. I played around with this a lot, and made about 5 new versions that eliminated all movement of the mag, but still had stovepipe issues. Bought some volquartsen extractors on this trip to the states, get back on Friday so will install and test over the weekend.

User

Mine feeds fine, but often doesn't clear the spent case. CCI (even subsonics) works the best, and seem to have issues with most other brands of ammo.

User

When I got my 10/22, it was bought used, it had some extraction issues. One day I got tired of them and decided to very slightly deepen the ectractor slot on the breech end of the barrel. I filed it out with a fine needle file and removed any burrs. Since doing this I have rarely had stuck cases. When I had them, the chamber was already very dirty.

User

So I fitted the Volquartsen extractor, It definitely made a difference. I still got the occasional stovepipe, but was running the gun bone dry, and it was now not ammunition sensitive. The extractor really bites into the case. Since then I have had some time on my hands, so really had a close look at it. A few of the issues that I noticed are:

Raised letters cast in the back of he receiver interfering with the slide. - Right at the back of the receiver there are some letters in the casting that were showing signs of wear fron bolt movement, so I ground them out . While I was at it I polished the rough casting of the receiver slightly.

Radiused and polished the bolt/hammer contact surface of the bolt.- Just slightly as it is easier to take more metal off than it is to replace it, but it made a significant difference to the feel of the cocking cycle, made it a lot smoother.

Adjusted the firing pin retainer. The firing pin is held in with a roll pin that was not inserted fully, it was sticking out a bit into the recoil spring channel, interfering with the movement of the spring. I think that this was the most significant adjustment, as it really smoothened out the cycle. I'd recommend checking this to any 10/22 owner.

I also made a new silencer and removed the slide stop buffer pin, replacing it with the original steel factory pin.- In hindsight I don't think that the buffer pin did much to make the action any smoother, and it was a pain in the ass to install and remove. I might look at reinstalling it in the future once I have sorted everything else out. The new silencer is very quiet, but it is amazing how much more quickly gunk builds up on everything, both in the silencer and in the action.

Put it all back together with lube this time, and it feels a lot better. will go play at the range this week sometime, I'm aiming for zero jams with any ammo.

Next mods if I have any issues will be machining up a new slide, and definitely a new cocking handle - I can see where the brass is connecting the bolt after being extracted, so the aim will be to change the angle of deflection to clear the brass better. I'd also like to tighten up the extractor and headspace tolerances. All in all this rifle is giving me just as much rewarding workshop time as range time... :)

User

Nice feedback, did you just get the extractor or the bolt tune up kit?

User

Just the extractor, don't have issues with light strikes :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast