Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default What do you pay for accommodation on your hunting trip?

Hi everybody

I am rather curious about what rates you pay for accommodation on your hunting trips this year. Especially in the light of a recent NHSA newsletter about inconsistencies in prices at hunting farms. We have a hunt scheduled for later in July, but I have some mixed feelings about the accommodation rates. The price of the game is fair, though.

What do you pay for accommodation, both for hunters and non-hunters, and what is included in the price?

User

Default Re: What do you pay for accommodation on your hunting trip?

The current accommodation fees is keeping me from hunting. I see many places consider R850 per night per person (regardless of hunter or not) completely acceptable. Then all they give you is firewood. No meals, you have to pay extra for the bakkie, tracker, gutting/skinning services, use of cold room, etc. I can't pay R850 per night for me and my wife if I want to go away for 2~3 nights anymore, that's way too much. It'll kill my whole budget.

While people keep paying these high prices. They will just keep rising.
    Luckily where we go were currently paying R175 per person per night. This includes our 3 meals.
    Well some lunches is a "kospakkie" we take into field.
    We also dont pay extra for farmers to take us into field.
    We do pay for workers a bit for the skinning.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    The current accommodation fees is keeping me from hunting. I see many places consider R850 per night per person (regardless of hunter or not) completely acceptable. Then all they give you is firewood. No meals, you have to pay extra for the bakkie, tracker, gutting/skinning services, use of cold room, etc. I can't pay R850 per night for me and my wife if I want to go away for 2~3 nights anymore, that's way too much. It'll kill my whole budget.
    That has become common practice these days. Luckily places i visit are around R350 to R450 per day (minimum of 2 nights) and that includes skinning and the use of a vehicle on the farm but excludes meals (self accomodation).

Non hunters are usually R200 to R250 per day. I also see a lot of farmers with great game prices almost like the old prices but then when you add in the extras it actually becomes expensive as if to make up for the low game prices.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

We pay around R420 per night for accom which includes lunch. The accommodation is really good and lots of extras with that.

We also pay around R250 per day for fees which includes bakkie, PH, skinner etc etc. Its a huge farm so bakkie and PH are needed

We did the camping thing for past two years and did not pay.

Other farm charged us R150 and no meals included but we split the fuel bill and you paid the workers R80 per animal for skinning.

Other farm was R 400 which included vehicle and lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

We are lucky that the farm where we do our yearly "father and sons" hunting weekend is owned by someone we know well (but I know this is the norm anyway) don't charge us for accommodation or the use of the vehicles.

And his game prices are fair compared to other farms. We are only allowed to shoot Impala, Kudu and Red hartebeest(the warthogs are a temptation because this farm has the biggest warthogs I've ever seen due to a no-hunt policy by a few farmers in the area, and if you find a BWB on the farm, you can shoot it free of charge). To be fair though, it is a cattle farm with lots of game and not a dedicated game farm.

User

We paid R400pn for hunter and R250 for non hunter. Self cater. Firewood, PH, bakkie and skinner included.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

User

Last day fee I paid was R80p.p.p.d. Of course the details will remain a secret! Oh and it includes the use of a Donkey Cart for game retrieval!

I will pay a fair amount with pleasure, up to around R400. R850, no way!

User

R900 per night for family of 4, includes bakkie, cold room, skinning, wood and cleaners. Not bad for decent accommodation. They also cut the meat of the bones and package it for R6 per kg additional, they also buy the bones back at R5 per kg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast