Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Hunting & meat processing pricing

Paid R15/kg for biltong doewors chilli bites and Potjiekos all inclusive and nicely vacuum packed in Kempton

Also paid R15/kg in Meyerton, vacuum packed and the biltong and chilly bites was dried at the butcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something I've always wondered is if I hand in my meat at, say R21.50 p/kg. Do I get all my own meat back? I can't imagine a busy butchery doing neatly marked packs of meat to keep different customers' meat separated. The owner might think so, but do his employees adhere? What's to stop him from taking 1kg of your droëwors and hanging it up for sale as his own? How will you know how much you've "lost" in the drying process. I'd opt for the diy route in mincing, drying and everything in between. Just my 2 cents

Any places in Cape Town that one would recommend

User

Let410 - They say the Boer & Buther do a very good job in Durbanville, otherwise it is La-Rhine close to Malmesbury

User

I'm sure there are more places but I have heard good things about these 2

User

Quote Originally Posted by fkritzinger View Post
    Ok. You can work on a reasonable margin of 35% waste in skin, gut, head and hooves. Of the rest, 30% of the "wet" weight is bones.
    Then you make your choice of what to do with the meat. Biltong you get 30-40% of the wet weight once dry...
    If you make wors (braai or dry word) you add 25% of the game mass back in brisket and fat (I prefer mutton tail fat) a little water and spices (about 1kg spice to 15kg meat, but differs from one brand to another). If you make cheese grillers from your pigs, you will add 15-20% in cheese...

So as you see, all these things affect how you price ​your produce...

I have not seen prices under R20/kg for processing for a while. I used to have my meat worked at the biltong factory in Meyerton - R4.50/kg and R1 per vacuum bag!
    Waking up this thread again, I am trying to figure out how I would come to a price per kg of either biltong and/or wors. Some of the guys at my work are also interested in placing orders with me for biltong and dry wors and I have to give them a price figure. My logic follows the following reasoning:

Let's consider a 50 kg Impala as an example and let's say the Impala costs R1000 to shoot - that means the Impala itself works out to:

• (R1000) / (50 kg) = R20/kg Impala.

If 35% is subtracted from the mass of the Impala (skin, gut, head and hooves) that leaves you with 32.5 kg. As you mentioned, about 30% of this remaining mass is bones, which means you are left with about 22.75 kg of wet meat.

Now, if I were to make biltong of this meat, this means that you have about 22 kg (rounded off) of wet biltong. Subtracting 30-40% off the wet biltong's mass means you are essentially left with 13-16 kg of dry biltong. That works out to an average of 45% (for wet biltong) and 26-32% (for dry biltong) of the Impala's original mass. If the butcher charges R20/kg (I assume that would be per kg for wet meat) for processing the meat, before factoring in the price of the Impala itself, then the 22 kg wet biltong costs:

• (22 kg) x (R20/kg) = R440 for all of the wet biltong.

Since the price you pay the butcher will be R440 for the batch of biltong (irrespective of dry or wet meat), calculating the actual price of the eventual 13-16 kg of dry biltong then becomes:

• (R440) / (13 to 16 kg) = R27.50/kg to R33/kg for the dry biltong.

Finally, adding the Impala cost per kg and the meat processing costs together, finally works out to:

• (R20/kg Impala) + (R27.50/kg to R33/kg dry biltong) = R47.50/kg to R53/kg for dry biltong.

-------------------------------------------------

In the case of dry wors, adding back 25% of the 22 kg of wet meat (as per your guideline), that leaves you with about 27 kg of wet meat. If you add 1 kg of spice per 15 kg of meat, that then equates to about:

• (27 kg meat) + (2 x 1 kg spices) = 29 kg of wet wors.

If the butcher charges once again R20/kg, then that works out to:

• (R20/kg) x (29 kg) = R580 for all of the wet wors.

Adding the Impala cost per kg and the meat processing costs together, works out to:

• (R20/kg Impala) + (R20/kg wet wors) = R40/kg for wet wors.

How much % loss should one factor in for the dry wors?
    -------------------------------------------------

Is the method in my calculations correct? Am I missing something?

User

jaco - not all the meat that is left after you've cut it off the bone will be suitable for making biltong. Mostly the rugbiltonge and thighs. The shoulder have loads of connective tissue and will be pretty horrible biltong.

Also for the sausage - normally water gets added to the meat - normally around a litre or 2 to help blending in the spices and keeping it cool.

User

No. The butchers normally charge based on carcass weight for labour. So I your calculations it would be 32.5kg x R20 per kg

User

My overall cost per kg came in at R240 per kg of dry biltong/droëwors from 2 impala rams.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast