Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    User

Default Re: Hunting & meat processing pricing

For me the meat proccesing was always part of the hunt. Yes it is bloody hard work but when you eat it you have the satisfaction of knowing that you did it yourself.

To start off you don't really need more than a kit like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Edge-...processing+kit

And grinder and sausage stuffer. Yes it takes time but as James said if you do it with a afew friends you can start early morning and be grilling a few worsies for dinner while haveing a few beers! I often buy halp a pig over here and pay around 2€ kilo. Then I break it down into bacon, tjops and mince and sausage. A few friends who grew up in towns etc have heard of me doing it and now they ask me to invite them when I do it so that they can learn how to do it and be able to do it themselves. If you don't know how to do it then check on Youtube for Scott Rae Project. He does, deer, prok, sheep and everything else. Obviously not biltong but it very easy to do.

Regards

User

In Pretoria I really have to recommend my butcher: www.platinumvleis.co.za. Site looks wonky and all that, but the oke knows his stuff. He made some salamis and stuff for my brother and law and, well, its some of the smoothest salami I've had yet. Nothing wild and strange, just good. I can't comment on price, but I'm willing to pay to get that again!

When looking at the cost of venison and the cost to have it processed you need to keep a few things in mind:

1. If you are going to process the game into biltong and droewors there is no need to age the meat because its going to age while drying. Then you can have it processed at the farm.
    2. If you want good table fare it is advised to age the meat first. You are not going to enjoy the rump steak or sirloin if you process the animal within a day or two. So you will need a coldroom fir this or a butcher that allows the meat to age a bit longer. Both people we use let it age for about 5-7 days depending on the quality of the meat. If you did not maintain a proper cold chain or dress the meat properly the meat will go off faster.
    3. Quality of added products. If your butcher is going to use inside fat ( fat that sits around the kidney) your droewors and wors is going to be crap. The fat is going to stick to your pallet. So you pay extra with a butcher that uses the correct products.
    4. The meat also needs to be packaged properly. Dont skimp on this. Venison has very little fat therefore the blood keeps seeping out. Vacuum bags keep everything nice and neat and your wife will allow you to store your venison in the freezer.

It is amazing how some people pay large sums of money to shoot the animal but not willing to spend some money to get proper meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6