Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default left handed hunting rifle

Hi Guys,
    Im in the market for my first hunting rifle.
    I am left eye dominant therefore i have grown up shooting rifles left handed.
    Would you suggest getting a left handed rifle or just settling with the dominant right handed?
    Your suggestions would be appreciated!
    Cheers.

User

Default Re: left handed hunting rifle

W O

Are you also lefthanded ( settling with the dominant right handed?). If so I would go for a lefthanded rifle. f you are righthanded use an eyeflap to cover your left eye and see what works best for you

Banned

Shoot left handed and left eye dominant - no use in adjusting something that works. You have two options: a left handed stock on a standard rifle, or a complete left hand bolted rifle. Ruger made a complete left handed rifle at the same price as the standard right handed rifles at the same price but I don't know whether this was available in SA.

User

They are indeed available. Handled one at Savuti a while back, but having grown up using righthand bolt rifles, it just did not feel right. I still shoot from my left shoulder and sight using my left eye, but I cycle the bolt with my right hand. No use trying to teach this old dog new tricks I suppose

User

I battled with r/h rifles for some 30 years before biting the bullet and buying a l/h Remington, now in .308W and have never looked back. I still have .22lr, .223 and 9.3x62 in r/h but that doesn't bother me. I recently added a l/h Ruger African in .375 Ruger and loving it. As mentioned, they are priced the same as the r/h unlike the CZ550 Magnum l/h which is double that of the r/h.

User

Depending on your hunting terrain...my brother started off with a lever action 30-30 win and used it for many years successfully out to 200m. There are some other non tubular magazine lever guns out there too like Browning and Savage for reasonable prices.

User

I have the same situation ended up going with the Browning BLR 308 lever action

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

User

The ruger no. 1 rifle is also quite suitable to left handed shooting. Decide wheither the lack of a magazine is a disadvantage to you.

User

Many years ago I built myself a hunting rifle. At the time left handed rifles were not readily available.
    I did find one or two with left handed bolts. I found this to be weird.
    So I bought a K98 Mauser action at Classic Arms. Put a Ferlach barrel on in 7.62 and bought a left handed stock at Armtech.
    Been shooting like that ever since.

The other consideration was possible sale in future. You going to struggle to sell a lefthand bolt rifle. It's a little easier to sell a righthand bolt with l/h stock, for someone just to change a stock to suit them.

Hope my rambling makes sense.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

User

I'm a lefty and I shoot left with right handed rifles. I'm so used to working the bolt the wrong way around now I tried a lefty rifle in a store once and it completely confused me. It's the wrong way around. If you can stick to shooting left with right-handed rifles, do so. Main reason is because everyone has right-handed rifles so you'll always be able to shoot with other rifles as well (without confusing you).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast