Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: left handed hunting rifle

Thank you to everyone for their replies and suggestions.
    I class myself as Left eye dominant as well as left handed as this is the only way i have shot a rifle.
    I picked up my pellet gun (rifle) last night and tried right handed and i was lost. It felt very strange! I would like to continue shooting left handed.
    I have shot a few rifles and did not know the stock of a bolt action was also made LH+RHanded? It felt comfortable the last time i shot but did not know the stock was left and right made? Are all rifles made this way? what about the Howa 1500 or Winchester MOD 70?
    I have not looked at a lever action as i have not seen any in the shops new? This could also be a problem shooting prone?

User

You also get a lot of the stocks that are neutral, and can be used left or right. On them the bolt will always be r/h
    Perhaps look as these.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked-Obsession View Post
    Thank you to everyone for their replies and suggestions.
    I class myself as Left eye dominant as well as left handed as this is the only way i have shot a rifle.
    I picked up my pellet gun (rifle) last night and tried right handed and i was lost. It felt very strange! I would like to continue shooting left handed.
    I have shot a few rifles and did not know the stock of a bolt action was also made LH+RHanded? It felt comfortable the last time i shot but did not know the stock was left and right made? Are all rifles made this way? what about the Howa 1500 or Winchester MOD 70?
    I have not looked at a lever action as i have not seen any in the shops new? This could also be a problem shooting prone?
    Shooting prone with a lever action isn't that bad. Shooting from elbows the rifle's in the air anyway, so I just rotate mine a bit to accommodate the lever. I rotate the rifle with the lever in a clockwise direction, working the lever with my left hand (obviously). Works fine, but not as fast obviously.

EDIT: And as a PS I was told that a "fix" can be made for these situations. Our reverend showed me on my old .303 how and where they used to weld a "bridge" over the rifle for left handed shooters back in his day. It's basically an upside-down horseshoe-shaped piece of metal welded or brazed to the bolt's "knob", extending over the rifle to the left hand side. You work it by pulling down, back, forward and up as opposed to up, bad, forward and down. I've been thinking about it and it seems like a nice idea for a cheap fix, but I don't think I'll do it to my rifles. Perhaps drilling and tapping a hole in the bolt's knob at the bottom and then bolting this thing in there, but that's about as far as I'll go.

I am left handed and left eye dominant. My rifle is right handed though. I work the bolt with my left hand but I'm so used to it, I couldn't imagine doing it any other way. I was really stressed out about it when I did the speed shooting test for the ph course but I managed just fine, in good time. Bearing in mind that I had to lower the rifle out my shoulder, tilt it to the left and cycle the bolt before I could shoulder it again and take aim. The right handed guys just keep it shouldered from beginning to end.

Although, I confess I don't think my antics will work with a buffalo charging!

Banned

Arrow Re: left handed hunting rifle

Here is another variation on a theme

Right handed but left eyed due to eye damage
    Shoot right handed with RH bolt but with left eye -- left hand or neutral stock

I guess one needs to try out a lot of different rifles and styles until you find one that is comfortable and works

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    Here is another variation on a theme

Right handed but left eyed due to eye damage
    Shoot right handed with RH bolt but with left eye -- left hand or neutral stock

I guess one needs to try out a lot of different rifles and styles until you find one that is comfortable and works
    How would this work? How would you get a cheek weld?
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Banned

Arrow Re: left handed hunting rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    How would this work? How would you get a cheek weld?
    You are quite correct
    I tried it using fingers hands and arms which looked like it might work
    Then I went and got a broomstick to put in my shoulder to emulate a rifle stock
    I quickly saw the problem -- cannot get the left eye far enough across.

Scotch that plan
    ( Perhaps a .50 Browning and BOTH eyes .... ? )

For me it will have to be left hand all the way --going to be interesting to see how it all works out

Be VERY thankful those who still have 20 - 20 in BOTH eyes !

User

@ Brenneke.
    I am right handed and right eye dominant and normally shoot from my right shoulder, however, I have no problem shooting a right handed rifle from my left shoulder and using my left eye even when hunting. I am somewhat slower and need to close my right eye but it works well enough. I am not ambidextrous in any other way.

So try to shoot from your left shoulder, it might be the easiest solution.

User

Yeah the last buck I shot was right-handed, using my right eye, and I'm a lefty. It's definitely do-able. I think because it's so "odd", you concentrate a lot more on the fundamentals and therefore place better shots.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Yeah the last buck I shot was right-handed.
    How could you tell? Assuming you meant right-hooved? :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast