Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default How to license a sporting gun for a 12y/o?

So my step-daughter has expressed an interest in competing in shooting (probably IDPA) but my Glocks appear too thick for her hands. I haven't got her to shoot a thinner gun yet but it got me thinking. I'll try her with my 1911 but what if none of my guns fit her? How does one go about getting her the equipment she needs?

About the only thing I can think of is getting a dual license with my wife for whatever gun we decide to get her so either of us can take her to the range.

User

Default Re: How to license a sporting gun for a 12y/o?

She's not going to the range by herself, is she? Buy the gun in your name. If she's still shooting in a few years' time, "sell" the gun to her or buy her another.

User

The 1911 can work if she can handle the recoil. She can also enter it in ESP instead of CDP. In ESP you would only need to factor 125 instead of the 165 needed for CDP. Get a lighter recoil spring and download that 45ACP for greatly reduced recoil.

Maybe try a CZ P07 and see if she can shoot with that instead of the slightly thicker Glock. I am sure you will find a GunSite member close to you who would be more than willing to have her test fire the P07.

Banned

How far does she want to go? At club level I am pretty sure that they will let a young girl compete with a smaller calibre until she can handle a 9mm pistol. Recoil can be one hurdle and reach another - are her hands big enough yet?

User

We had a `13yr old girl from DDPC in our detail at Northern Nationals this weekend, she shot a HS 2000 longslide 9mm. Gun is licensed in grandpa's name and she competes at matches with him in attendance.
    She shot very well and outdid the okes on a few stages. The grandad says she does a minimum of 30 mins dryfire a day (after homework) and 200 rounds per week in practice.
    I was was so impressed watching this kid I took my 10 yr daughter along the next day to witness first hand the results of a dedicated training regimen.

User

Unless she's going to travel alone to national matches, there's no reason to hassle with the license in her name. Just let her shoot and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster View Post
    We had a `13yr old girl from DDPC in our detail at Northern Nationals this weekend, she shot a HS 2000 longslide 9mm. Gun is licensed in grandpa's name and she competes at matches with him in attendance.
    She shot very well and outdid the okes on a few stages. The grandad says she does a minimum of 30 mins dryfire a day (after homework) and 200 rounds per week in practice.
    I was was so impressed watching this kid I took my 10 yr daughter along the next day to witness first hand the results of a dedicated training regimen.
    I had the pleasure of having her on my stage. She managed just fine. Great gun manners, confident and totally safe.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    The 1911 can work if she can handle the recoil. She can also enter it in ESP instead of CDP. In ESP you would only need to factor 125 instead of the 165 needed for CDP. Get a lighter recoil spring and download that 45ACP for greatly reduced recoil.

Maybe try a CZ P07 and see if she can shoot with that instead of the slightly thicker Glock. I am sure you will find a GunSite member close to you who would be more than willing to have her test fire the P07.
    A 1911 in 9mm downloaded to minor, with a soft spring would be a winner.

My daughters were 10 and 12 respectively when they shot for the first time. Young girls can handle far more recoil that what we give them credit for. They can also handle surprisingly 'large' guns too, given half the chance.

Both shot my Glock 34 and hi-Cap 1911 (2011 style ipsc pistol). The latter is a 40S&W loaded to IPSC major. The large grip circumference is only really an issue for dropping mags or slide-release, not for the shooting itself. The issues with ergonomics can however be overcome with proper training\technique.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosis View Post
    A 1911 in 9mm downloaded to minor, with a soft spring would be a winner.

My daughters were 10 and 12 respectively when they shot for the first time. Young girls can handle far more recoil that what we give them credit for. They can also handle surprisingly 'large' guns too, given half the chance.

Both shot my Glock 34 and hi-Cap 1911 (2011 style ipsc pistol). The latter is a 40S&W loaded to IPSC major. The large grip circumference is only really an issue for dropping mags or slide-release, not for the shooting itself. The issues with ergonomics can however be overcome with proper training\technique.
    That's a point. I'll run her through some drills with the Glock and my 1911 with some softer loads. Maybe I'm projecting onto her with my dumpy fingers and all but she doesn't look comfortable shooting my Glock. She looks much better with my .22 with the thinner, more ergonomic grip.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    That's a point. I'll run her through some drills with the Glock and my 1911 with some softer loads. Maybe I'm projecting onto her with my dumpy fingers and all but she doesn't look comfortable shooting my Glock. She looks much better with my .22 with the thinner, more ergonomic grip.
    My 10 yr old son has taken a liking to IPSC. (He has been shooting competitively in other disciplines for a few years.) Fortunately we have a Walther P22S available. This pistol has a grip scaled to smaller hands and fits him well. Our club allows him to use it. (Any safe measures to promote youngsters are encouraged.)

He can shoot my 9mm pistols well and likes the G34, but the recoil seems to get to him after a while, leading to flinching. The 22 allows him to learn the ropes without ingraining bad habits, even on a 100+ round club shoot.

My advise would be to start off with the 22 pistol you have, and use it untill she has mastered the basic skills. She will tell you when she is ready to upgrade to a bigger pistol. When she does, keep a close watch for signs of flinching and other bad habits caused by the recoil etc of the bigger pistol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast