Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hege Waffen AP66 9mm short

Hi guys.
    Can get this pistol for free.
    Want to give it to my wife as a home defence weapon.
    Would like to know if this is a reliable hand gun.
    Are there self defence bullets that work well out of this weapon.
    Thought of loading myself.
    Minimum loads for practice to get her comfortable with the weapon, and then propper bought expanding bullets for when the s*** hits the fan.
    Thanks in advance

User

Default Re: Hege Waffen AP66 9mm short

Hege assigned the AP66 designation to 2 different guns. These were a slightly modified Astra A60 Constable pistol, and a FEG made Walther clone. As far as I can tell, Hege never made anything, they are just distributors. A picture might help in identifying which variant it is.

Astra has be defunct for many years, so spare parts are problematic. This means that the first issue with a spring or screw could put the pistol out of action for a long time. If it is a FEG, they were imported in significant numbers to SA, so used parts might just be available.

Only empirical testing will accurately determine what feeds well and what not. This might also be influenced by the condition of the pistol and it's wear parts like recoil, main and mag springs.

9mmS being one of the calibres that don't work very well with JHP ammo, you might not be at a great disadvantage using FMJ for SD purposes.

Its got the pegasus logo with Hegen in a circle

User

Free is a really good price. I would, in your case, take it as a second or third pistol rather? You get only one S13 pistol ... rather spend some money and get a new CZ or Glock that you know will be serviceable.

I am getting a cz75B as an edc for myself. This is going to be my wifes home defence gun wich will be licenced in her name

User

I hear you. Don't get your wife an inferior weapon. Get her the CZ75 and take the Hege yourself? If that does not work for you, it probably will not work for her either.

Thats exactly the reason for this thread. Finding out if the Hege is a dependable handgun that i can trust to protect my wife and son while i am away. The plan is to get her shooting the fa at least once a month to develop trust and confidence.
    The cz will be too big and heavy for her.
    But since the point of a probable spares issue was brought to the table i have second thoughts on this fa unless i can get some info stating otherwise.

User

I'm sorry if I send this off in a different direction now. But the pistol really does not matter that much. You need to get training and so does your wife. You are in a wonderful position if she is interested in getting her own firearm. But the big money is really not spent on the gun. It is spent in getting capable to use the thing. And, in my view, that takes quite a few hundred rounds a year. And a course or two. Every year. Which means stress on the firearm.

Even modern, striker-fired firearms break (I broke a firing pin on my Glock recently). The trick is to get it working again as soon as possible. That my be possible in Johannesburg with gun shops on most corners, but if it breaks in some godforsaken shithole like Cape Town you are in trouble. But Glock and CZ spares abound. I had a new Glock pin in hand the next day.

So buy something that not only works, but can be kept working too.

User

Here an idea. You take the free crappy pistol. Take the money that you were going to spend on a CZ and use that to buy your wife a good gun.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast