Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zambia

User

Default Zambia

Hi guys,

Planning a trip to Zambia, will be passing through Botswana.

I just wanted to find out if anyone has been to Zambia recently?

From google search it appears that from 2015, they stopped the requirement for yellow fever vaccinations from countries without yellow fever, SA is not a country that has yellow fever, just wanted to find out if anyone has experienced the border crossing in the last year or so and if they have been asked for the certificate.

Also, camo clothing is a no go for African countries?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Default Zambia

Whether SA has Yellow Fever or not has nothing to do with the requirements at your destination country in Africa. I would suggest just remove that as a possible stumbling block and have a valid yellow fever cert. if Zambian road-block twats are willing to fine you for a defective courtesy light on the roof of your vehicle, you can bet they'll find issue with a missing or invalid YF certificate.

It's an African obsession.

Arriving in Ghana from SA it was their first, high priority check before one got near customs/immigration. I'd love to know when their last incidence of YF was from an incoming S African. They wouldn't have a cooking clue I bet.

ETA : camo clothing ? I really wouldn't, but I have nothing concrete to base my recommendation on except TIA.

User

Default Re: Zambia

Not sure about current yellow fever requirements but make sure you have a warning triangle in your vehicle. Those are roadblock favorites except if you are Zambian, then you just pile a bunch of branches behind your vehicle. Prawpa!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan C View Post
    Not sure about current yellow fever requirements but make sure you have a warning triangle in your vehicle. Those are roadblock favorites except if you are Zambian, then you just pile a bunch of branches behind your vehicle. Prawpa!

I was stopped near Solwezi Zambia, requested to produce triangle, and after producing my large plastic version, was still informed it has to be a steel type triangle. TIA

User

I went to Zambia sept 2016 for work, got all my jabs excl the yellow fever as I was on corticosteroids which compromised my immune system. crossed over at Lusaka and back via ORT with no issues. the problem is going to a yellow fever area, its when you come back, customs will place you into quarantine.
    Currently Zambia is Yellow fever free, but the bordering northern countries are not.
    I would suggest you get the typhoid, rabies pre exposure (4 jabs in total over a month) and Hep vaccinations.

Don't drink the water before you boiled it, or at least stick to bottled water as much as you can.

User

Thanks for the information guys!

User

Hep A&B is also a good precaution to get.

User

Thanks made a booking for travel clinic

User

Quote Originally Posted by Grobbie View Post
    I was stopped near Solwezi Zambia, requested to produce triangle, and after producing my large plastic version, was still informed it has to be a steel type triangle. TIA
    Haha, in 2003 it was like that. 14 years later they still want the metal "tringle" they called them, it's not a bloody triangle.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac595 View Post
    . . . the problem is going to a yellow fever area, its when you come back, customs will place you into quarantine.
    Currently Zambia is Yellow fever free, but the bordering northern countries are not.
    I had forgotten that the problem is more on the return leg of the journey as you pointed out. It's valid for 10 years I think, so just get one.

User

Got the shot today to be safe, figured less hassle from potentially corrupt officials look to give kak...

Whats the verdict on wearing camo? I have two really nice thick ACU jackets, can't seem to find any info if camo is illegal for civvies or frowned upon atleast.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast