Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Morakniv - Best place to buy?

Hi guys and gals,

Where's the best place to buy Mora knives in SA? I've seen that they're available at quite a few places online, prices relatively similar. I'm just looking for a couple to put in my go-bags. Leaning towards the Morakniv Companion MG for around R250ea.

Would you rather go for another model? Just looking for a decent all-rounder. Thanks!

User

Default Re: Morakniv - Best place to buy?

User

Mora's are great knives, a lot of people dismiss them for not having full tangs but I've personally worked some of mine hard and they kept going.

I bought mine at camp and climb in centurion(they also have an online shop), I think I paid 150 rand for the carbon version.

Are you looking for stainless or carbon versions? - I pit a forced patina on my carbon versions and they are easier to sharpen but if I lived at the coast or in a humid environment I'd chose stainless. Definitely go for the cheaper versions, they will do everything the nicer "bushcraft" versions will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp_ View Post
    Trappers Trading
    Thanks for the link Scorp! Decent price that.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftShot View Post
    Are you looking for stainless or carbon versions? - I pit a forced patina on my carbon versions and they are easier to sharpen but if I lived at the coast or in a humid environment I'd chose stainless. Definitely go for the cheaper versions, they will do everything the nicer "bushcraft" versions will do.
    Tks for the info LeftShot. Probably SS version as it's going to be chucked into a backpack and forgotten for a while. How easy is it to do a forced patina and what did you use? Can you post a pic of the end result?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGregory View Post
    Bought mine here
    Thanks David! They seem to carry the largest selection of Moras that I've seen locally.

User

Mora's are great knives, a lot of people dismiss them for not having full tangs but I've personally worked some of mine hard and they kept going.

I bought mine at camp and climb in centurion(they also have an online shop), I think I paid 150 rand for the carbon version.

Rant alert!

Nothing wrong with a knife that is partial tang or stick tang (AKA rat tailed tang) people have used such tools for thousands of years.

I think that this obsession with "full tang" has been drawn from the American obsession of everything having to be built to withstand the destructive abuse of some nut in a basement wearing a hockey mask attempting to baton blades through concrete blocks and rebar. Its ridiculous and most times it results in a tool that is barely usable for its actual primary purpose - cutting sh*t.

I have a drawer full of expensive imported knives of "top quality" which I never use because they are 6mm thick and although I can hand sharpen a blade that it will shave ink off of a page they are still shite at cutting or carving or skinning because the damn edge spine is like that of my ax (which will also shave BTW).

A good stick tang kept nice and soft with gentle radius on the corners rather than a 90* bend will outlast any reasonable use, and in larger knives like khukuris etc provide a very nice shock free grip when used as a chopping tool it also makes it easy to achieve a nicely balanced blade.

Rant over.

User

I used vinegar, left the blade in a glass and let it sit for about 2 hours, checked on it every now and again and when i was happy with the colour i took it out, wasked it and gave it a light sanding. If they going to sit in a bag id go with stainless. Get a carbon one and try it out though, they cheap enough!

User

Proventure has treated me well

Quote Originally Posted by R_C View Post
    Rant alert!
    Rant over.
    Sing it brother! :D

I used vinegar, left the blade in a glass and let it sit for about 2 hours, checked on it every now and again and when i was happy with the colour i took it out, wasked it and gave it a light sanding. If they going to sit in a bag id go with stainless. Get a carbon one and try it out though, they cheap enough!
    Thanks for the info LS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast