Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: MAG-LITE Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by keithbatkins View Post
    Hi Spez247.
    Thanks for that.
    Yes, it does seem that we both have the same 'old' MAG-LITE which uses X3 'D cell' batteries.
    The ZAR 300 which you spent at Dave Sheer Guns...was that just for the replacement LED ?
    If so...good value...I hope that DSG still stock them.
    They are my 'local' gun shop.
    I seem to spend a lot of time (and money) there !
    Regards...and Thanks Guys for all the info.
    Much appreciated.
    Keith.
    Sure Keith.
    The torch was actually sent away to the agents by the gent in the uniform shop within DSG; so have to assume its not an off the shelf bulb.
    As Gazzamck mentions, its more of a focused light as opposed to a spread (which i like for its intended use). I am on a AH & it reaches out easily to all 4 corners of the property.

User

best thing with a maglite, its not only a torch, you can moer someone with it
    if my edc fails i mean

its my go to torch for taking the dogs out at night

granted I made the decision to make my neighbours more attractive by putting up 4 x 50 watt led floods (bid or buy gents)
    its the far dark corners that worry me, the immediate garden is daylight from these spots

User

Quote Originally Posted by Proudprado View Post
    I've done the upgrade. Sometimes I have to shake the torch to get it started. When it works, it's great.
    Aha so you must first moer with your Maglite and then you can see what has been whacked. Wrong way around. HaHa

User

If you search the net there are some "home built" Maglite upgrades available. I have read about 1 where you have to remove the switch, cut off a part of the blue plastic reflector and do some epoxy work also. But it sounds like it it worth it. I do not know.

User

I keep a 3D-cell Maglite beside the bed for whatever I might need it for. Had trouble finding a 3 cell LED upgrde, so I installed the 4-cell unit and it works just fine so far.

I saw a "pirate" LED upgrade module in an outdoors shop, forgot the name now. They also had a module for the mini-Maglite (2AA). Makes even these better.

Yes, I do have much smaller and lighter torches that outperform the Maglite, but they are all poor donnering tools. The Maglite is a dual purpose tool: It can break bones and reconfigure the hardware in a BG's head, and it can make light too. And very few people will frown at a person carrying a Maglite, while a decent baton might get unwanted attention. So it is a less-lethal weapon and torch.

Hi Guys.
    Just to let you know that I got exactly what I needed from my local MAG-LITE stockist in Eastgate shopping Mall.
    Shoe Care 2 (No 'phone number shown on receipt)
    They stock replacement LEDs for both the 2 D-cell torches and the 3/4 D-cell torches.
    Simple to fit and both types cost ZAR 299.
    I am now 'sorted'.
    Regards.
    Keith.

User

I lost a connector spring from my Mag Lite D cell. Where can one get a replacement?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    I lost a connector spring from my Mag Lite D cell. Where can one get a replacement?
    Let your dealer send it back to the agents, or just order the part.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Let your dealer send it back to the agents, or just order the part.
    Cool thanks. None of the places I tried (only on the websites I'll admit) have stock.

Will try a dealer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2