Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: .308 Lee Enfield for hunting, Yay or Nay?

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    Specials on Howa rifles with basic scope and rings come up every so often for around the R10k mark and would be my first choice. Phone Camdix in Krugersdorp to hear what they have available currently. You may also find combo specials within budget on something like the Remington 783 or Ruger American if you phone around(The Ruger comes with scope rings so if you can buy one for around R7k you will have R3k for a scope, enough for an entry level scope from a manufacturer like Vixen or Lynx) All of these rifles, though not necessarily heirlooms are quite accurate and of decent enough quality whilst all having much stronger actions than the Lee Enfield(with the exception of the P14) besides which they will be new with no pitted or worn barrels to contend with.
    Agreed.
    Keep it simple.
    Wait for a special on a Howa, Ruger American, Savage etc
    Buy one in a popular off the shelf caliber and shoot away.

User

The action of the pictured rifle looks like a No.4. The mag looks like a cut down FN-FAL (R1) type. The stock looks like the ones sold by Musgrave many years ago. So, superficially the rifle looks like it could have been professionally converted. Closer examination by a knowledgeable person (not the salesman!) will tell the full story.

Even if the rifle is in good condition and the conversion was expertly done, it still is a Lee Enfield converted to 308 (or 7,62x51). It is used too. You will never know why it was sold.

If you shop around, you could find some very affordable brand new rifles. The Remington 738, Ruger American, Mossberg and afew others seem to come available at very good prices occasionally. The package deals on the Howa are not bad either. (I would just replace the included scope at the first opportunity).

Buy new, cry once.

Banned

Since I am on farm at mo I can not give more info, but a new hunter in my circle just sms, d me that he finaly got his first rifle, a Howa S/S in 308 for R7??? - under 8K.
    Do not know more at mo, but yes they still are available at ghese prices. East Cape PE , Jefferies are I gather was his purchase area

That 'Lee Enfield' looks like it could be using an Australian International Arms M10B series magazine (a modernised Lee-Enfield)?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2