Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Reloading .38 special for Rossi .38 snubby

I have MP200 powder, so I referred to somchem's website for their powder suggestions as the reloading manuals I have dont list MP200

The bullets I have are 158gr lead cast swc & rn.

It says on their page to reduce the loads with 1.5gr if using a snubby. Should I then go with 5.4gr - 1.5gr = 3.9gr as start and 5.9gr - 1.5gr = 4.4gr as max?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Reloading .38 special for Rossi .38 snubby

Is this for competition or just recreational shooting? If not competition i would load the bare minimum as it does not have to cycle like a pistol. Less stress on the gun and far more economic on powder. + the lower recoil advantage.

Recreational fun shooting.

User

Snubby is a difficult gun to shoot groups with. So would be hard to say if load affects grouping. I would load a few from 3.8gr up to 4.5gr and test them at the range on sandbags at 10meter hammer back

User

Looking at the chart an OAL of 37mm should be fine

I got a bunch of these.
    158gr rn & swc and 145gr hp

User

AOL will be different for FN.. will be a little shorter. Someone on here should have experience with those rounds and a snubby

Banned

Gustav, I downloaded quite a bit to get practise rounds with really low recoil. My reloading papers got lost and I cannot give you precise powder loads. I took the prescribed 1.5gr off the minimum load and went below that. It was close to a puff load but was successful in that my wife got used to shooting her snubby accurate enough that we could up the load.

Big warning: loading too low could result in a kaboom with the bullet stuck in the barrel, or because of backward detonating. That is when the powder does not fill the case completely and ignites from the front. It is unlikely to cause trouble in a low pressure cartridge but please don't take chances. 414gates on the forum has more knowledge on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav van der Walt View Post
    I have MP200 powder, so I referred to somchem's website for their powder suggestions as the reloading manuals I have dont list MP200

The bullets I have are 158gr lead cast swc & rn.

It says on their page to reduce the loads with 1.5gr if using a snubby. Should I then go with 5.4gr - 1.5gr = 3.9gr as start and 5.9gr - 1.5gr = 4.4gr as max?

I know this is of topic but how good is the rossi .38 ?

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk

Banned

The Rossi is not the best but better than Arminius and some other brands. The trouble with most snubbies is that the light frames get damaged from shooting too many full spec loads and recoil makes fast shooting an art.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast