Default Re: Reloading .38 special for Rossi .38 snubby

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav van der Walt View Post
    I got a bunch of these.
    158gr rn & swc and 145gr hp

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Will these holow points work for self defence

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk

Im sure they will be a good option if you are limited to these in the photo, but personally I'd rather use the semi copper jacketed hollowpoint. Will post a pic of it later.

User

Quote Originally Posted by lbarnard121 View Post
    Will these holow points work for self defence Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk
    Probably but if the expand or not with snubbie velocity with local powder is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant9 View Post
    Probably but if the expand or not with snubbie velocity with local powder is the question.
    At close range (+-5m) I'm sure it will.

User

Expansion will depend on lead hardness and impact velocity. The American 158 gn Lead HP +P ammo seemed to work ok-ish in 4" barreled revolvers, but not so much in 2" snubbies. Not that I would try +P loads in a Rossi.

One of the better SD options in a 38 snubbie, is the 148gn target wadcutter bullet. You could likely get similar preformance by just inverting the 3 pictured bullets, and loading them with the base facing forward, close to flush with the case mouth. This will reduce case volume, so reduce the powder charge as well. The reduced volume might help to get better ignition. Not sure what accuracy will be like, not that it matters too much on a snubby anyway.

Getting expansion may not be desireable, as that may further limit the already poor penetration abilities of the 38 snubby with most loads.

These

User

Quote Originally Posted by STREETRACER View Post
    Ha! Brings back memories. Anywhere the wind blows...

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

User

I always get that flash back when i see a black snubbie! Anywhere the wind blows..

User

Gustav...have fun but whatever you do, do not get tempted to load +P for that puppy. Perhaps middle of the road loads will be good. Semi Wadcutters will do nicely for practice/target work.

Other than that, load that baby with some nice quality hollow points and a suitable powder charge and slap on an ankle holster under your safari suit pants, as a backup, to compliment your EDC semi auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumbles View Post
    Gustav...have fun but whatever you do, do not get tempted to load +P for that puppy. Perhaps middle of the road loads will be good. Semi Wadcutters will do nicely for practice/target work.

Other than that, load that baby with some nice quality hollow points and a suitable powder charge and slap on an ankle holster under your safari suit pants, as a backup, to compliment your EDC semi auto.
    Yup. This is just a toy and none of my toys I load beyond their capabilities. I'll leave the hotter loads for when I get a 357 mag.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast