Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Ammunition Advice Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceOfficer View Post
    At the price point Rangers win outright. Having said that, I do love me some Critical Doo-tees but that's only cos I picked em up some time ago when the cost was slightly more palatable.
    My Glock likes Speer and Hornady, so that's what I buy. But, I find it a bitter pill to swallow when the new ammo prices works out to an exchange rate of around R36/$ when the market rate is R13/$. The previous batch was at R22/$, which seemed more palatable considering all the duties, shipping, dealer margins etc. I cannot help but feel the consumer is getting squeezed for a product that's in demand. :(

User

Quote Originally Posted by WCC View Post
    My Glock likes Speer and Hornady, so that's what I buy. But, I find it a bitter pill to swallow when the new ammo prices works out to an exchange rate of around R36/$ when the market rate is R13/$. The previous batch was at R22/$, which seemed more palatable considering all the duties, shipping, dealer margins etc. I cannot help but feel the consumer is getting squeezed for a product that's in demand. :(
    I find it a bitter pill to swallow when I accidentally shoot out an entire magazine of carry ammo during a club shoot :-(

User

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    Any reason for this, BigT as opposed to HST 147g +p. What does "barrier blind" design mean. Just asking as I bought the HST.
    It means that the bullet performs almost the same in ballistic gel after penetrating a barrier (like wood or glass) as it does when there is no barrier.

In the Critical Duties case, it's supposed to perform near identically through drywall/wood/glass/etc.
    But that usually means you compromise on expansion so you end up with expansion around 0.5 of an inch in both cases.

The Military Arms channel tested some rounds (the Gold Dot 147gr, Critical Duty 135gr, HST 124gr) through some barriers and there was some interesting results (mainly that the 124gr HST was the only one to properly expand after going through a +- 3cm thick piece of wood) :

There's some car glass tests on Youtube as well, look up how bullets usually deflect.
    Usually down when shooting from outside the car, in. And usually up when shooting from inside the car.
    But modern cars have various front windshield angles so you cannot be sure how far they will deflect.

HST is great. Honestly if you are carrying HST/Ranger T/Gold Dot/Critical Duty/Critical Defense/Corbon DPX (and if you have function tested and they are reliable in your gun) then don't worry about the ammo anymore, and worry about shot placement and training.

User

Quote Originally Posted by WCC View Post
    Market opportunity.

Am sure many would support the cheaper prices you will assuredly be able to offer.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    Any reason for this, BigT as opposed to HST 147g +p. What does "barrier blind" design mean. Just asking as I bought the HST.
    Less effected by intermediate barriers. So the bullet performs the same through more barriers.

And NR I've played around with HST (which is a great load ) through car glass. It deflects more than a CD or a Gold Dot. It also threw a lot of jacket back into the car and at the shooters. So while a good load it's not a wonder violet.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    And NR I've played around with HST (which is a great load ) through car glass. It deflects more than a CD or a Gold Dot. It also threw a lot of jacket back into the car and at the shooters. So while a good load it's not a wonder violet.
    Interesting. How much deflection, a couple inches or like a ruler length ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Nyt Ryda View Post
    Interesting. How much deflection, a couple inches or like a ruler length ?
    That depends on the distance to the target

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    That depends on the distance to the target

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
    Makes sense. Depends on the car too as the curve and angle of the windshield affects it too.

Found this video of Kyle Lamb shooting some Hornady Critical Duty through a car windshield using a S&W M&P Shield. Quite surprising results.

User

The HST deflected about 4" at bonnet length. Obviously further out like that target it would be been more dramatic.

User

Oscar told me that rangers penetrate okay.
    I like Lambs take on shooting through vehicle glass, shoot plenty, shoot until the threat stops.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast