Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Here we go again

SSG or LG?....Makes no difference.

Use over 15m and you could have problems.I have had LG pellets flatten on a frontal head shot on a pig and fail to penetrate the skull at 10m.
    I have also had SSG penetrate to only just through the skin of a pigs shoulder at 25m.

Used though within its limitations,either are OK.

I have lost count of the number of bushpig i have shot with a shotgun...the last one was a big boar that wanted to eat me and circumstances found me on the receiving end with only no.4"s in the O/U.The first shot at 12m glanced off his skull and cut a non lethal groove through the skin on his back.The second shot at about 12 inches punched a caliber size hole in his skull and fortunately ended it.

The main reason i take a shotgun after a possibly irate pig is because of its natural pointabillity at close range,not because of the pellet spread.

For some reason Treeman now refuses to fetch pigs for me at night with his 9mm.Might have something to do with his near death experience stuck up a tree with an empty pistol.Either that or he has no sense of adventure at all.Some people.

Thanks pre64. Slugs would be a good option then? I've hunted many warthog but somehow bushpig sounds much more exciting.

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

Banned

Pre 64's latest pig. a very pretty one indeed .

User

Quote Originally Posted by grasbuffel View Post
    Do you use slugs or buckshot for the pissed off pigs?
    Slugs. Will post some pics in a new thread as I don't want to derail Pre 64's thread.

User

grasbuffel...Ja.There is no question on the penetration ability of slugs.

They also have the advantage of you being able to stretch the effective range over buckshot.

Warthog are foreplay...bushpig are the real deal.

User

WCC...go for it.All on the topic

Banned

as you know I in retrospect rather enjoy it when it gets hairy, and I must insist that both animals are very real when they get cross with you. Very much the real thing then. Till then they both actually just targets.
    Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post

Warthog are foreplay...bushpig are the real deal.

User

Thats a pretty Hog. They are about at the moment in the EC being so dry they seem to be moving about a lot. Ive bumped into a few during the day and even more at night in the last month. This brace i shot about 3 weeks back at 3 in the afternoon. Caliber 22-250. Not the best pic but all i have.

Banned

Also been seeing them Addo area by day, but while driving. I actually need to stop this looking for animals while driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    Thats a pretty Hog. They are about at the moment in the EC being so dry they seem to be moving about a lot. Ive bumped into a few during the day and even more at night in the last month.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2