Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Under Siege... Please assist

Hi .45
    My experience is as follows and I want to highlight I am not a Security expert I am just a normal guy. in 2014 and 2015 we were experiencing abnormally high crime rate in our area. We decided to set up a Patrol Initiative in the neighbourhood. We went Door to door to get volunteers to join and then began patrols. First thing we did was set up a Whattsapp Group for Patrollers and then followed with an Emergency Group for ALL residents opening up a channel of communications between neighbours and patrollers. We began Patrols from 22:00 to 05:00 in shifts. This had an immediate effect and reports of suspicious vehicles and persons dropped dramatically. We have dropped crime by 95% to date. Our Patrols continue to date and we are enjoying the benefits of a safer community. What we learnt was knowing your neighbour and communication is key. We have gradually built relationships with SAP,S and Security Companies to the point they are seen regularly and perform operations in the area based of our information. We are a small neighbourhood of 9 roads in Roodepoort so it may differ from your environment but the principles apply.We have businesses in the area involved as well to help with spotting activities during the day.

We started off with some handheld spotlights and we now have decals, orange strobes and remote LED spotlights on the vehicles when patrolling, we have radios and direct contact details of SAPS Officers and Response vehicles.

As mentioned above criminals want the path of least resistance and will move on if it gets too difficult, they need to know they are being watched and if they step out of line there will be someone there in a few minutes.

Even if it starts with 5 guys it will build and grow, most people want to inherently help and get involved to make their families safe.

User

external

boundary fence around the homestead
    beams between the boundary and home
    floodlights on home facing boundary
    burglar bars on windows
    security gates on doors

Internal

sensors on doors and windows
    passives (often useless as they already in the house, good when not at home)
    armed response
    security gates on passage/ bedroom access to rest of home
    dogs inside (poisoned in garden and help with early warning)

this is how we live in a pretty low crime suburb, would take it further being on a small holding or isolated

My idea is to try and be alerted as early as possible to any unwanted guests, if they get over the fence the need to miss the beams
    if they miss the beams they need to get through security gate or burglar bars, they then need to get through another gate without my dogs waking up or alarm going off to reach me or family. Flood lights give me good visual of my garden and driveway

my weak spot is taking the dogs out in the early morning as thats the one point in which I am exposed, eg) waiting at back door for me

EDC and awareness then come into play as well

Thank you to all that have responded. I sincerely appreciate all advice.

I must make special mention of Kreefstert, with whom I spent more than thirty minutes on the telephone. Your time and advice is highly valued. It was great talking to you.

I truly appreciate all the responses and value all additional advice.

User

What kind of dwelling do you have? Freestanding house? Plot? Townhouse? Complex?

What we are doing at my new home is the following:

The bottom end of our property borders on a park. The existing palisade fencing now has an electric fence installed on the inside that extends above the palisade fence, The side walls and front of the property will have a free standing electric fence installed 1 meter within the parameter of the walls, 1.8M high to create a no-man's land between the two barriers. Too small to get a ladder set up across the electric fence, too large a gap for them to easily jump and theoretically no way for them to breach the actual electric fence without me knowing about it.

The perimeter of the house is covered by outdoor passives should they be able to get over the electric fence undetected.

All windows have burglar bars to make getting access to the house take a while longer.

A CCTV camera system to monitor the fence as well as all entry points.

Flood lights on the fence lines as well as the perimeter of the house shining outwards to make it difficult for assailants to monitor movement inside the house once they trip any of the perimeter alarms.

A dual gate electrically fenced entry system for vehicles, again creating a no-man's land. The first entry gate will also not have beams which can be tampered with.

A walk in safe, lockable from inside to create a safe room for my family.

EDC always on me.

The idea is to make me the least inviting target in my suburb.

Thank you Koebelwagen. We have a free standing house. Your situation will be taken into cognisance in devising our security detail.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    What kind of dwelling do you have? Freestanding house? Plot? Townhouse? Complex?

The bottom end of our property borders on a park. The existing palisade fencing now has an electric fence installed on the inside that extends above the palisade fence, The side walls and front of the property will have a free standing electric fence installed 1 meter within the parameter of the walls, 1.8M high to create a no-man's land between the two barriers. Too small to get a ladder set up across the electric fence, too large a gap for them to easily jump and theoretically no way for them to breach the actual electric fence without me knowing about it.

The perimeter of the house is covered by outdoor passives should they be able to get over the electric fence undetected.

All windows have burglar bars to make getting access to the house take a while longer.

Flood lights on the fence lines as well as the perimeter of the house shining outwards to make it difficult for assailants to monitor movement inside the house once they trip any of the perimeter alarms.

A dual gate electrically fenced entry system for vehicles, again creating a no-man's land. The first entry gate will also not have beams which can be tampered with.

EDC always on me.

The idea is to make me the least inviting target in my suburb.
    It is sad that we are forced to live this way.
    Lift those fences a bit and you have a prison.

User

Prison aint so bad when you're getting KFC and strippers.

User

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    hahah aint that the truth

User

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    Which is precisely why if you shoot gooder, you upgrade them from KFC and strippers to 70 virgins.

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post

EDC always on me.

The idea is to make me the least inviting target.
    Just to add my 2 cents with regards to electric fences. ( note: I'm no security or fence expert , I did go boarding school though, where you do pick up some tricks )
    Unless you keep a electric fence strained on a regular basis ( and that is actually quite often.) and have ' earthing loops' every metre odd ( not sure if that's the correct name , but they join every second wire and loop the middle one ) anyone with two semi dry sticks can 10 guys through in under a minute without setting the alarm off .
    We used to do it almost on a daily basis without ever setting the schools perimeter 1,8 m fence off, and without ever getting shocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast