Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Under Siege... Please assist

Quote Originally Posted by Aerosol View Post
    Just to add my 2 cents with regards to electric fences. ( note: I'm no security or fence expert , I did go boarding school though, where you do pick up some tricks )
    Unless you keep a electric fence strained on a regular basis ( and that is actually quite often.) and have ' earthing loops' every metre odd ( not sure if that's the correct name , but they join every second wire and loop the middle one ) anyone with two semi dry sticks can 10 guys through in under a minute without setting the alarm off .
    We used to do it almost on a daily basis without ever setting the schools perimeter 1,8 m fence off, and without ever getting shocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Technology and mounting techniques have moved on somewhat. The strands are now spaced much closer together and the earth loop is monitored as well. Tensioners are spring loaded these days and most wiring is braided as opposed to single strand to minimise stretching. Gone are the days of bendable flat/ round bar poles too. In fact there are now even pressure sensitive bobbins that detect when an attempt is made to separate the wires from each other and of course fences can be monitored in zones so you know exactly where a breach occurred. You will have a tough time getting through a properly designed/ properly maintained electric fence undetected.

Having said this and even with all the fancy stuff I am implementing at my house a determined invader will still get through the layers, the difference being I will know about it and have some time to get ready for the final breach at which time whomever it is coming through a window or door will have to explain very nicely what exactly they are doing there whilst looking down the barrel of a gun/ rifle. This is a game of numbers, the more time I have to prepare the more prepared I will be. Hopefully there will also be time enough so the cavalry(armed response) can join in.

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    Technology and mounting techniques have moved on somewhat. The strands are now spaced much closer together and the earth loop is monitored as well. Tensioners are spring loaded these days and most wiring is braided as opposed to single strand to minimise stretching. Gone are the days of bendable flat/ round bar poles too. In fact there are now even pressure sensitive bobbins that detect when an attempt is made to separate the wires from each other and of course fences can be monitored in zones so you know exactly where a breach occurred. You will have a tough time getting through a properly designed/ properly maintained electric fence undetected.

Having said this and even with all the fancy stuff I am implementing at my house a determined invader will still get through the layers, the difference being I will know about it and have some time to get ready for the final breach at which time whomever it is coming through a window or door will have to explain very nicely what exactly they are doing there whilst looking down the barrel of a gun/ rifle. This is a game of numbers, the more time I have to prepare the more prepared I will be. Hopefully there will also be time enough so the cavalry(armed response) can join in.
    Good to know things have changed. Thanks .
    Always thought it was a pointless exercise IF not done properly.

Banned

There are serious limitations on what can be said on a open forum, so I will just say that in smaller communities Dorpie - Town as apposed to Cities, I have seen it be that fear of the community is the greatest deterrent. I had a criminal driver once (like retired - did his time), pointed out showed me many things. Lawn mowing service is a cheque book job, you work you look you take inventory and you collect items as you have buyer or need.
    A statement made in much rougher language once was that criminals fear the community that no longer relies on the police. They are terrified of communities that meet out their own justice. Word gets around and criminals do do research.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    There are serious limitations on what can be said on a open forum, so I will just say that in smaller communities Dorpie - Town as apposed to Cities, I have seen it be that fear of the community is the greatest deterrent. I had a criminal driver once (like retired - did his time), pointed out showed me many things. Lawn mowing service is a cheque book job, you work you look you take inventory and you collect items as you have buyer or need.
    A statement made in much rougher language once was that criminals fear the community that no longer relies on the police. They are terrified of communities that meet out their own justice. Word gets around and criminals do do research.
    exactly why in mozambique vendors can leave their goods at their stall over night
    the community and police wont tolerate bullshit

User

amazed that nobody has mentioned the yappy dogs inside for night alarm.

User

Quote Originally Posted by kakuli View Post
    well i did mention dogs inside
    i just prefer to have a dog that can bite as well

User

Quote Originally Posted by kakuli View Post
    When the crime is under control give it to the SPCA?

Hi .45.
    As Aerosol said.
    Fit those 'loops' onto the electric fence.
    Not expensive and, as we have found out, they work.
    Regards.
    Keith

I will certainly consider all advice rendered in order to developed our safety strategies. Thank you to all for your considerate help.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Aerosol View Post
    Just to add my 2 cents with regards to electric fences. ( note: I'm no security or fence expert , I did go boarding school though, where you do pick up some tricks )
    Unless you keep a electric fence strained on a regular basis ( and that is actually quite often.) and have ' earthing loops' every metre odd ( not sure if that's the correct name , but they join every second wire and loop the middle one ) anyone with two semi dry sticks can 10 guys through in under a minute without setting the alarm off .
    We used to do it almost on a daily basis without ever setting the schools perimeter 1,8 m fence off, and without ever getting shocked.

By "strained" do you mean adjusting the tension of the wire, and can the earthing loops easily be cut to create a section of the fence that can be parted can this be rigged to trigger an alarm if tampered with?

The ideas and info here are great. So many people have a simple electric fence setup and think its good to go.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast