Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: 9mm ARs?

User

Default Re: 9mm ARs?

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    If you are running the 300BLK in a CQB environment with subsonic loads you are effectively in 45ACP carbine country.

Same bullet weight at similar speeds. The one just makes bigger holes and the 300BLK will tend to over penetrate.
    and considerably more ammo in the mag.
    223 casing vs 45acp casing.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    It'll be the fifth weapon type if you count mini rifle as a seperate event, which they usually are. I don't know how events are run in other countries, but I don't think it should be hosted as a seperate event from the handgun shooting events. Considering the time and effort in setting up and hosting a shoot, I hope the PCC division will be run on the same courses of fire as handgun events, at the same time.
    This may well be the way to go, but if it is a multigun tournament style event and a competitor is competing in both handgun and PCC division, he/she will have an unfair advantage as he/she gets to run the same course twice. Or do I misunderstand you? Not picking a fight, just trying to get my head around the practicalities.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MrK View Post
    This may well be the way to go, but if it is a multigun tournament style event and a competitor is competing in both handgun and PCC division, he/she will have an unfair advantage as he/she gets to run the same course twice. Or do I misunderstand you? Not picking a fight, just trying to get my head around the practicalities.
    While I have never shot a multi-gun event, at provincial IPSC league shoots a shooter can, and they often do, enter twice. First shoot on Saturday and then again, maybe in a different division, on Sunday.

At a higher level match like a Nationals, I think you would have to choose either or. I don't think there would be enough time do both. Or, at a L3 shoot, PCC should be hosted seperately.

First hurdle would be getting enough people participating though.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    and considerably more ammo in the mag.
    223 casing vs 45acp casing.
    The 300BLK is a very cool cartridge and I would love one. It can do many things that are pretty good.

But it tries to be a jack of all trades.

As a suppressed CQB it works well but you have pistol speeds and need expensive ammo to prevent over penetration and proper expansion. The same can be done with 45ACP at 1/4 of the price. Or even 9mm subsonic with lots of beans.

As a suppressed medium distance 20-150m it works real well and this is where it shines. But once you start getting to these distances suppression may or may not be ideal.
    Un-suppressed at medium distance just about everything else is cheaper and ballistically it's a tossup for 5.56, 7.62x39 or 300BLK they all have little nieces that they win, but all round they come out about even.

Long range they can be employed but there are better options.

The 300 is a great cartridge but it's not some super does all. basically suppressed it's a pistol carbine and un-suppressed it's an AK. Well almost

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    While not a consideration for CQB would the .300Blk not have better long range performance?

Heh, "long range".
    650m long range enough for you?
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    650m long range enough for you?
    Long enough.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post